Advice please on turning from Rutland Road to Penistone Road

Keep to the near side. Ie, keep left.

Those leaving Rutland Road in the off side lame should use the middle lane on Penistone Road.

Having been a adriver for over 35yrs and driving for a living . I suggest you re-sit your driving test .

Old thread revival! Just had a google after a near miss on the way home and this thread came up.

This junction could do with clearer marking, nearly had a car go into the back of me today due to the confusion here. I was in left lane of Rutland Road and turned into the middle lane of Penistone Road. Heard a horn go behind me and saw a car nearly take out my rear end in my mirror. He'd been in the outer lane at Rutland and tried to turn into the same lane as me as opposed to the right lane of the 3 options on Penistone. Drive this route every day for work and seen a few near misses due to the same issue.

Left hand lane for first 2 lanes and right hand lane for last 2 lanes on penistone rd

Surely the common sense answer is:

First /left lane Rutland road = First/Left lane Penistone road.

Second lane Rutland road = Second lane Penistone road.

Any manouver from that point onwards is pretty straight forward, mirror, signal manouver.

Thanks for the replies, they.highlight why road markings are needed! Have emailed the council.

Keep to the near side. Ie, keep left.

Those leaving Rutland Road in the off side lame should use the middle lane on Penistone Road.

Surely the common sense answer is:

First /left lane Rutland road = First/Left lane Penistone road.

Second lane Rutland road = Second lane Penistone road.

Any manouver from that point onwards is pretty straight forward, mirror, signal manouver.

Only if you want to have near misses or crashes if you do this.

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 05:57 ----------

Left hand lane for first 2 lanes and right hand lane for last 2 lanes on penistone rd

That's the way that I use it, and never have any near misses.

And also talking about this section, coming out of Albert Terrace road turning right onto Penistone Road also has the same thing (2 into 3)

(for Albert, coming down in left lane heads into lane Penistone road, and right lane for lanes 2 and 3 on Penistone)

This occasionally sees the odd beeping when 2 cars go for lane 2 on Penistone Road, but occasionally I've been in left hand lane turning right, and someone in the right hand lane also goes for lane 1 on Penistone Road (and I've even been beeped at by the right laner! :roll::confused:)

This again points out that 95% of people can't drive.

If you need the second lane on Penistone road then be in the second lane as you approach it.

Why do you think being in the first/left hand lane gives you priority to change lanes whilst going through a junction?

If you were sat at the same junction, at lights but going straight ahead, would you assume the same? Why does going around a corner make a difference?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious as to why people think this is ok.

ETA: The basic principle of driving in the UK is to Keep Left, on all roads, including motorways (which is a prime example, you stay in the left hand lane unless you need to overtake)

Edited by beansforyou

Driven through this junction oodles of times and never even had to think about it!

Ive always used the left hand lane on Rutland Road for the 1st and middle lanes on Penistone Road since being told to do so by my Driving Instructor.

I am always wary tho, of drivers possibly using the right hand RR lane for the middle PR one.

If you need the second lane on Penistone road then be in the second lane as you approach it.

Why do you think being in the first/left hand lane gives you priority to change lanes whilst going through a junction?

If you were sat at the same junction, at lights but going straight ahead, would you assume the same? Why does going around a corner make a difference?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious as to why people think this is ok.

ETA: The basic principle of driving in the UK is to Keep Left, on all roads, including motorways (which is a prime example, you stay in the left hand lane unless you need to overtake)

Good grief, you can't say things like that. Stay in the left hand lane unless overtaking:!:

What about the 'mercs, audis, bmws and volks wagons' drivers who have to preserve their superiority :loopy: As per https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525378