Former Salvation Army citadel now being squatted by Occupy Sheffield

Tony

Occupy Sheffield squat  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Occupy Sheffield squat

• Go
    • Stay

the building looks dangerous - I think it's disgraceful that it's been allowed to fall into such a state. Is it still owned by the Salvation Army ?

You can blame the Council for that. Various planning applications have been turned down which has resulted in it being left empty until the owners can find some viable use that Council will deign to grant permission for.

The SA don't own it any longer, it's a private company who bought it from them some years ago with the intention of redeveloping it. I suspect that Occupy Sheffield might have made an error of judgement here if they think that they will have a land owner as long-suffering as the Cathedral.

Tossers!

Your choice of words says more about you and your own intolerance than anything else.

You can blame the Council for that. Various planning applications have been turned down which has resulted in it being left empty until the owners can find some viable use that Council will deign to grant permission for.

That makes it the responsibility of the SA. If they can not submit an application that is acceptable they are still responsible for keeping it in a decent condition. SCC can issue a compulsory purchase order on it if they fail to maintain it (which they should do).

The SA don't own it any longer, it's a private company who bought it from them some years ago with the intention of redeveloping it. I suspect that Occupy Sheffield might have made an error of judgement here if they think that they will have a land owner as long-suffering as the Cathedral.

What uses have been proposed? I walk past this building every day and think its a crying shame that it's left to deteriorate by the owners.

It's preferable to the Cathedral IF they have moved on. If they're Occupying both then I think it's just an excuse to squat under the pretext of protesting as they don't need two camps.

If they have moved on from the Cathedral I think that's a positive but somehow I doubt it.

They still need public visibility though. So I expect they'll qwant to keep somthing at the cathedral. Not much point in protesting if you're indoors :hihi:

That makes it the responsibility of the SA. If they can not submit an application that is acceptable they are still responsible for keeping it in a decent condition. SCC can issue a compulsory purchase order on it if they fail to maintain it (which they should do).

no, Tony said it's no longer owned by SA, but a private developer

What uses have been proposed? I walk past this building every day and think its a crying shame that it's left to deteriorate by the owners.

woah lightbulb moment - we should all photograph it and post it on the website about disused buildings - agh, can't remember what it was - something to do with Kevin McCloud and that cheeky handsome chappie