Former Salvation Army citadel now being squatted by Occupy Sheffield

Occupy Sheffield squat  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Occupy Sheffield squat

• Go
    • Stay

Your message - or at least one to the same effect by someone whose FB name "fits" your SF username - still seems to be there as far as I can see.

I can only see the ones posted by the citadel

Wording on notice from Citadel of Hope.

Dear Neighbour,

We are now Occupying the old Salvation Army Citadel under Section 6 of Criminal Law Act 1977 as amended by Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994.

Please do not be alarmed. We are a peaceful group and intend to cause you no inconvenience. We want to use this space (which we found empty and unsecured) to facilitate community projects and workshops.

We are renaming this ‘The Citadel of Hope’. We will now set about making the space safe and usable and hope to have it up and running soon.

We will keep you informed of our progress.

All the best.

The Citadel of Hope Family

Sorry, facebook settings were wrong <hangs head in shame> :(

Clicking the "Everyone (Most Recent)" link on the wall (to the lower right of the pictures at the top) revelas posts by all visitors

It's how FB works for organisations which are slightly different to individual's FB pages, not censorship by the group

Clicking the "Everyone (Most Recent)" link on the wall (to the lower right of the pictures at the top) revelas posts by all visitors

It's how FB works for organisations which are slightly different to individual's FB pages, not censorship by the group

bloody facebook!!!

Have you got any evidence to support your accusation or are you simply making unfounded libellous allegations?

Which is, you might be thankful, effectively a civil matter rather than criminal*; the same as squatting in fact.

*A point of note: Although criminal libel exists in reality prosecution is extremely rare

So the Occupy Sheffield are now theives as well. I do not understand how anyone can defend squatting. Squatters rights should be abbolished all together. Its just an excuse for people to steal land.

So the Occupy Sheffield are now theives as well. I do not understand how anyone can defend squatting. Squatters rights should be abbolished all together. Its just an excuse for people to steal land.

But all property is theft, innit?

They should re-occupy their own homes.

I'm sure not all of them have homes ... was going to use the word lucky, but I would imagine being burdened with such debt would not be seen as 'lucky'

Are they moving the entire camp to the old citadel? I'd consider that a very constructive move on all levels. It would stop OS appearing to be all about attacking the Cathedral. It would hopefully put an end to the shameful neglect of the of citadel. Good news all round?

Steal land? How does anyone do that? Wouldn't they need a JCB? They haven't stolen anything. They've occupied a building that's been empty and neglected for years. If the owners had any intention of doing anything useful with it they would have done so by now.

I think this is a great place to set up a centre for community and listening, and to exchange ideas to help solve the pressing economic, social and environmental problems of our time. All the cuts and austerity has meant that many groups have seen their support pulled. Maybe the Citadel of Hope can help people to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The Citadel will of course be a safe place - a dry site - and the Safer Spaces policy that exists at Occupy Sheffield at Cathedral Square will apply here too. Basically, be nice to each other and respect other people.

I expect a presence to stay at the Cathedral, but maybe a trimmed down version. How long the Citadel lasts is unknown at this point, but the High Court discussions around Occupy London and the Bank of Ideas in London may have a bearing on it. Rulings happening 11th January 2012 in London I believe.