Former Salvation Army citadel now being squatted by Occupy Sheffield

Occupy Sheffield squat  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Occupy Sheffield squat

• Go
    • Stay

It looks like Occupy Sheffield have taken to breaking and entering and general law breaking by squatting in the old Salvation Army citadel opposite the Peace Gardens.

Have you got any evidence to support your accusation or are you simply making unfounded libellous allegations?

Which is, you might be thankful, effectively a civil matter rather than criminal*; the same as squatting in fact.

*A point of note: Although criminal libel exists in reality prosecution is extremely rare

Edited by Squiggs

It's not up to me to provide evidence but let's remember that buildings don't just spring open by themselves, especially ones that have been cased on http://www.28dayslater.com as advertised on the new Facebook page.

In my real life experience, the people who illegally break and enter into buildings are invariably among the group of squatters found within. Those people then use the inadequate laws to protect their own sorry snivelling hides by pretending that it wasn't them that did it. Fortunately, I understand that the government is changing the law this year to make squatting a criminal offence regardless of breaking and entering.

Your choice of words says more about you and your own intolerance than anything else.

That makes it the responsibility of the SA. If they can not submit an application that is acceptable they are still responsible for keeping it in a decent condition. SCC can issue a compulsory purchase order on it if they fail to maintain it (which they should do).

It was earlier stated that SA no longer own it so how does its upkeep remain the responsibility of SA, surely its the responsability of the new owner?

It's not up to me to provide evidence

Yes it is.

You made a defamatory accusation.

Yes it is.

No I didn't, but I'll take the risk that law breaking squatters will want to sue me for something that I didn't say.

On the wider point, doesn't it all undermine The Judean Peoples' Front The Peoples' Front Of Judea Occupy Sheffield?

Edited by Tony

Yes it is.

Just curious, but how do YOU think they got in? Did they have the keys?

It's preferable to the Cathedral IF they have moved on. If they're Occupying both then I think it's just an excuse to squat under the pretext of protesting as they don't need two camps.

If they have moved on from the Cathedral I think that's a positive but somehow I doubt it.

I would IMAGINE (and this is just an assumption based on some other occupations) that they may look at reducing the size of the camp and perhaps attempting to negotiate a symbolic presence - as having two camps would be resource-heavy

No I didn't, but I'll take the risk that law breaking squatters will want to sue me for something that I didn't say.

On the wider point, doesn't it all undermine The Judean Peoples' Front The Peoples' Front Of Judea Occupy Sheffield?

I suspect the occupy sheffield cathedral mob will claim tis new mob aint anything to do with them so they will need to stay to continue the childish and pointless picking on the cathedral

Just curious, but how do YOU think they got in? Did they have the keys?

I don't know. Therefore I haven't attempted to state how they did, and thus cannot accuse anyone of a crime in case I am later required by a court to back up my statement.

So how I think they may or may not have gained entry is irrelevant, however there are people experienced with squatting and the need to keep entry non-criminal to prevent rapid eviction and criminal charges.

Squatters, organised ones, may find methods of entry through unsecured openings not normally accessible to a casual thief - and they don't need to be not noticed as they are not commiting burglary so don't need to "get away" unseen. So a ladder to access a high point, for instance, would not be suitable for a burglar but for a squat - one intended to be noticed - it doesn't matter.

Why people are getting uptight about it on here, I don't know.

Seems a bit weird to get so concerned about something that doesn't really affect them or many other people really.

I would have thought there are alot more serious things to get uptight about.

Try Famine or Homelessness for example, more concerning than someone allegedly breaking into a Salvation Army citadel I would have thought.

Squat is an interesting word. In many countries, one type of toilet is known as a squat because of the position you adopt when using it.

Of course, that leaves the squat occupied by poo.

As I said, interesting word and quite accutate considering.

just left a message on their facebook page...asking if they would now be leaving the Cathedral....my message was REMOVED.

Tossers!

Your message - or at least one to the same effect by someone whose FB name "fits" your SF username - still seems to be there as far as I can see.