Strike Action - Public Service - 30th November

Guest sibon
I think the same could be said for most government ministers, regardless of what party is in power.

Indeed. But please don't imagine that Francis Maude's "generous" offer was motivated by anything other than self preservation. After all, the Government only started negotiating a couple of weeks ago, when they realised the scope of the opposition to their proposals.

Nobody wants higher pay. Most of us will settle for paying the same rate of income tax as everyone else.

'us' being? Because taxes for admin jobs in dwp and home office are same as others.

Edited by iphonelover

Nobody wants higher pay. Most of us will settle for paying the same rate of income tax as everyone else.

I thought everyone had the same tax codes, why do you think NHS is different or any local authority?

Guest sibon
I thought everyone had the same tax codes, why do you think NHS is different or any local authority?

My pension payment goes straight to the treasury. It gets mixed in with general taxation.

At the moment, my pension fund is in surplus or, it was last time it was valued. The coalition refuse to value it, so nobody really knows.

So, I'm probably paying my dues and a bit more. Now the Government want me to pay another 3%, on top of funding cuts, job losses and a three year pay freeze.

I've had enough actually. Come and march with me on November 30th.

I think I am going to start a protest for myself.

I pay work and I pay taxes.

I make my own contributions into a pension scheme

I live in a house that isn't owned by the council and if I lose my job, I am not eligible for benefits.

I don't think I should be paying as much tax as everyone else, because I get no handouts. I don't seem to be getting as much of a return as everyone else feels they are entitled to.

Is anyone else with me?

Lower taxes for people who pay their own way!!!

oh, and to top it off - the amount of tax i DO pay, doubled about 5 weeks ago.

Edited by Scozzie

I live in a house that isn't owned by the council and if I lose my job, I am not eligible for benefits.

I don't think I should be paying as much tax as everyone else, because I get no handouts. I don't seem to be getting as much of a return as everyone else feels they are entitled to.

Is anyone else with me?

Here! Here! I hear you! Im with you!

Nurses etc... I understand but civil servants should not be wanting a higher pay.

Perhaps you should find out what the action is about before you pass comment. It is not about pay.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quote tags

Is anyone else with me?

I am with you, I have worked in the private sector since leaving school in 1980, never claimed benefits, have my own house. Have 2 children whose child care we have paid for, nothing from the state at any pont in my working life. Paid into a pension since I was 18, it's worth almost nothing when I do eventually get to retire.

Will I support the public sector? Not a chance they need to get in the real world.

Perhaps you should find out what the action is about before you pass comment. It is not about pay.

That actually makes a change! Civil servant for 12 years and the pay strikers really pee me off. They dont know how lucky they have it! Good luck with the pension one!

Guest sibon
I am with you, I have worked in the private sector since leaving school in 1980, never claimed benefits, have my own house. Have 2 children whose child care we have paid for, nothing from the state at any pont in my working life. Paid into a pension since I was 18, it's worth almost nothing when I do eventually get to retire.

Will I support the public sector? Not a chance they need to get in the real world.

I've got a similar employment record, but doing something pretty worthwhile in the public sector. I've a lot of sympathy for your pension plight, but do remember that your money has been effectively stolen by other private sector employees. The fees charged for pensions that fail to perform are outrageous.

I could have worked in the private sector and earned two or maybe three times as much as I do. I'm happy with the choice I made though, but I think that I should be able to expect the Government to stick to their side of the deal.

As an aside. My pension scheme has a clause in it that should trigger a review every five years. If it isn't self-sustaining, then my payments go up. That seems fair to me. Sadly, the Coalition have refused to carry out the valuation and are adamant that I should pay 3% more. All my union have asked for, is that they prove that it is necessary. They wont, and they peddle lies about this at every opportunity.

Im copying/pasting a comment which i read on another board today regarding the pension fiasco. It raises a number of points that havent been mentioned before :-

The government is deliberately trying to force low paid workers out of the scheme - to force them into their new "government pension scheme" NEST, to be introduced for every single worker without a pension

But the devil is in the detail because the money from this scheme will not go to the government (which has proven to be the safest pension scheme for anybody's savings) - no it is to go to 3 foreign investment banks instead

yes every worker in Britain earning just over as little as £7,450 will be stripped of 4% of their wages and the government will give the money to UBS (Swiss), State Street (American) and Black Rock (American)

As well as this the government is going to strip every British business of 3% of its earnings to give to these foreign investment banks (and also 1% of all our taxes in the form of a tax rebate

So if these foreign investment banks are to be handed 8% of British earnings - how safe will the money be?

State Street - being investigated by multiple law enforcement agencies in American for defrauding public sector pensions ove rmany years - is being sued in courts all over America right now for defrauding pension schemes - and on top of this their accounts state they cannot quantify the losses they have still to incur for Lehmans and Madhoff scandals. In Britain alone they are expected to make a loss of £100million - just for Lehman's - and that's not including even bigger Lehman losses in America - would you trust them with your pension never mind 8% of our economy

Black Rock - chairman Fink was sacked from his first job in the financial sector as he brought first boston bank to it's knees through rogue trading - the bank had to be bailed out by Credit Suisse (years before the financial crisis). He bounced back to set up Black Rock and Antharcite Capital. Last year Anthracite went bankrupt causing a California pension fund to lose half a billion dollars - would you trust him with your pension - never mind 8% of our economy

UBS - George Osborne stated a few weeks ago when UBS lost over £1billion to 1 "rougue" trader - it is perfectly obvious terrible things are happening at UBS - UBS also cannot quantify their losses for Lehman's - and they are currently being sued by the American government for their part in bringing down 2 national banks in America

So Cameron wants to price British workers out of their "affordable", "safe" government pension schemes and put us all and our pensions into the clutches of American and Swiss Investment Bankers

And to top it off - well government is not administering the scheme - no - an Indian company will collect all our data, our wages, NI number, date of birth - who we work for - so an Indian company will know what every British company pays its workers - what valuable information that is - just imagine if that information got into the wrong hands - dare I even say - foreign competitors could use this information to undercut British companies by finding out how much they pay and then paying less to their workers.

Cameron and Co are trying to destroy the only safe pension in Britain and hand all the money to investment bankers - and at the same time this is designed to ensure every worker in Britain does not realise their wages are about to be raided and 4% taken from their pockets to line the coffers of discredited and bankrupt foreign investment banks - and their private information collected by an Indian company - not the government - ask your MP - they will tell you all the plans are in place - the government just doesn't want us to know

Surely the events since 1998 and the details on these 3 banks who already have the contract to get 8% of our economy (just when the economy needs every single penny it can get) proves no foreign investment bank with these sorts of records should be any where near a British "government" pension scheme

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/16/council-pension-scheme-danger-collapse

I work in a south yorks hospital and support for the strike is solid - us oldies know what tories do to the north of england and are willing to lose pay to protest, the 1 day strike will cost me £100 I could do without losing, but what a bargain - the chance to be amongst (hopefully) millions of people saying 'go screw' to the tory and lib dem ******** who will strip this city and it's people bare - my kid will be in the job market in a few years and there are already a million young people jobless while the rich award themselves with top dollar bonuses for making a **** of the economy.

mad as hell.

support the strike whatever you do, it's the only focussed resistance you'll have the chance to experience.

Two genuine questions, not having a go.

1. Was it really milk and honey under labour or are some members voting for strike action just because they hate the Tories ?

2. What about the patients ? If it's "one out all out" how's that going to affect patient care ? Obviously I cant see nurses downing tools mid- operation, but what those bed ridden ? Will less nurses mean more old folk sat in their own filth for a day ?

As I said it's not having a go but if my dad gets a bad infection and needs to be hospitalised on the 30th November how different is the service going to be ?