Strike Action - Public Service - 30th November

Im copying/pasting a comment which i read on another board today regarding the pension fiasco. It raises a number of points that havent been mentioned before :-

<SNIP>a load of unfounded left wing scaremongering ,/SNIP>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/16/council-pension-scheme-danger-collapse

It doesn't raise any points at all. I wouldn't trust the Guardian to spell the name of the paper right, never mind any of the rubbish they print.

I dont have any sympathy for the strikers, I know a lot of civil service workers they are hardly badly done to and I wish I had a pension that would pay me 3/4 of my wage when I retire like my friend, and she retired at 58. I will be lucky to retire at 70!

Like someone else said 'Welcome to the real world'.

I am with you, I have worked in the private sector since leaving school in 1980, never claimed benefits, have my own house. Have 2 children whose child care we have paid for, nothing from the state at any pont in my working life. Paid into a pension since I was 18, it's worth almost nothing when I do eventually get to retire.

Will I support the public sector? Not a chance they need to get in the real world.

I worked in the private sector before moving to the public sector, my choice as I had a young family and wanted to spend time with them and the conditions of service appealed to me. Haven't had any state handouts either and have also paid into a pension scheme all my working life. When public sector was booming and pay rises were significant 5-10%, in Local Government ours were much lower. We were told this was due to us having the pension scheme we have and the conditions of service we had. Didn't hear the private sector moaning about our pensions or low pay rises then.

As soon as there is a problem with the economy, caused by the private sector we in the public sector are villanised in the press leading to the sort of ignorant and uninformed comments posted on here by some. I now have a role twice as large as my original role, have had a pay freeze (and am due a pay next year) and have seen an erosion of my conditions of service. These I have had to put up with as we are not all unrealistic and recognise that there are prioblems.The latest attack on pensions however (allegedly to help the economy) whilst the very people who caused the problems award themselves huge bonuses is a step to far. I am striking, not because I am lazy or workshy, but to protect my pension that I have paid into. Also because at some point when the employers are taking and taking from you while expecting more and more back you have to say enough is enough.

Edited by BigJezLad

I personally favour neither party, but people seem to be so quick to blame the "con dem" government and the Tories for the state the country is in...

But how many years of Labour government has there been that has got it so run down to this point in the first place???? The "con dems" aren't responsible for the whole mess. :confused:

potentially many services to some degree, unions involved cover NHS, local govt, teachers etc.

Fire and Police are unaffected, thats a bonus!

good luck to them though imho its a deserved action. Francis Maude asking them to strike for 15mins so they wouldnt lose pay, what a tool.

I think you will find that it will affect the police and fire service. I work for the police along with many other civilian staff and we shall be on strike so this will have an impact on service. I have paid into my pension for over 30 years so far and when I joined the scheme I was informed that I would be able to retire at the age of 55. This is no longer he case and I may have to wok until I am 65.. As you can imagine I am not a happy bunny. but it's not all about me it's about my 4 children and there children and your children. That's the problem with society at the moment it's all about me me me. Everyone should be supporting the strikers who are going to loose pay that they cannot afford to loose at this time or any other time of year.. Maybe this won't change anything but people have to make a stand.

I think you will find that it will affect the police and fire service. I work for the police along with many other civilian staff and we shall be on strike so this will have an impact on service. I have paid into my pension for over 30 years so far and when I joined the scheme I was informed that I would be able to retire at the age of 55. This is no longer he case and I may have to wok until I am 65.. As you can imagine I am not a happy bunny. but it's not all about me it's about my 4 children and there children and your children. That's the problem with society at the moment it's all about me me me. .

Oh the irony! You're striking because you think you have a right to retire 10 years earlier than the rest of us on a gold-plated pension but then say the problem with society is that it's all about me me me.

Things change - 30 years ago, people didn't think about how by the 21st century we would all be living much longer and that it simply wouldn't be possible to pay everyone a full pension if they chose to take early retirement.

I'll probably have to retire later, so will everyone else in the private sector, so what makes you a special case?

I think you will find that it will affect the police and fire service. I work for the police along with many other civilian staff and we shall be on strike so this will have an impact on service. I have paid into my pension for over 30 years so far and when I joined the scheme I was informed that I would be able to retire at the age of 55. This is no longer he case and I may have to wok until I am 65.. As you can imagine I am not a happy bunny. but it's not all about me it's about my 4 children and there children and your children. That's the problem with society at the moment it's all about me me me. Everyone should be supporting the strikers who are going to loose pay that they cannot afford to loose at this time or any other time of year.. Maybe this won't change anything but people have to make a stand.

but you are striking to keep pensions that will have to be paid for by your children-as I understand it, because they are unsustainable. Your children will work till they drop to pay for this generation to retire at a nice young age.