Strike Action - Public Service - 30th November

If a strike prevents another person from working how can it be anyone else's fault but the strikers?

It depends on your understanding of industrial relations, doesn't it? If you always take the side of the bosses, then obviously they can do no wrong, not ever. If, on the other hand, you've got an ounce of common sense...

An intelligent debate? You lot? All I have to do is ask a question and you all clear off to another thread and start abusing someone else.

Here's a few of the questions I posed in the last 24hrs:

Got any ideas how to pay off what we owe? (asked at least 4 times)

Who was the last true Labour PM in the UK?

If it wasn't Labour who caused the financial mess who was it?

What did Marx say about the possible outcome of anarchic unions hell bent on following a route to economic ruination?

You do know the country borrows £4,000,000,000 a WEEK to keep you lot in jobs don't you?

You don't answer because the truth doesn't fit your version of reality. Your loony left arguments are paper thin and don't stand up to scrutiny so you resort to this sort of snide, childish comment. Ignoring inconvenient questions is not an intelligent debate. Your idea of an intelligent debate is a stupidityfest based on rhetoric, assumptions, gossip and childish name calling.

You've done plenty of name calling yourself, so get off that high horse of yours.

I don't know how to fix the economy, but this bunch of jokers have been in power 18 months ago, are borrowing more money to pay less workers (and it's not been on our pay rises).

What I do know is that Milk Snatchers administration did away with the 3x your income restriction on mortgage lending, caused the 90's meltdown that meant there were no jobs when I left school. Had that restriction still been in place the Labour Govt wouldn't have had to borrow money to bail out the banks when their sub-prime lending blew up in their faces and the Country got caught in the fall out.

Also, it didn't escape my notice that DavNick are planning to raid private pensions too.

This isn't about Private v Public sector pensions, if you aren't independently wealthy, don't even think about growing old, this Government aren't going to leave us anything to live on.

We all have to unite and fight for our future.

The buses ARE the private sector.

Yep. They are. Do bus drivers get a final salary pension from the public purse? After all, they do a public service. The buses used to be rated as PSV (PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLE) which speaks volumes about the unfairness of who is or isnt a public servant.

I hope you have concrete evidence to back up your outrageous assertion . . .

Absolute fact, Cancer heart attacks and then the the NHS, the number of people who go into hospital for minor proceedures and who consequently die from hospital acquired infection is the greatest covered up scandal in this countries history.

To be fair, no. I dont. If you want a pension, you should buy one yourself and stop relying on the state for handouts above and beyond what the rest of the population gets.

Interesting. So you are implacably opposed to the Government's plans for private pensions beginning in 2012?

Of course, I'm in the LGPS, I don't think I am getting handouts. In fact, I think I'm avoiding handouts. I save much more than you probably do into my pension (it's just deferred pay), and unless the governments gets its way won't have to rely on the State as much as you will in retirement. Particularly if the value of your pension pot collapses.

Please let me ask you this. If you are a nurse or a politcian or an ambulance driver, its fair to say you are doing the public a service. Agreed. However, if you are a lorry driver delivering meat to a supermarket or a solicitor defending a man for beating up a robber, is this not another type of public service? Do we not all go to work every day to keep the British economy going? I think we do. I think that everyone should be equal when it comes to pensions, as we all have had a life at work, and to say the job of a nurse is harder and more stressfull than that of a milkman is just ridiculous. We all choose to do what we do, and we should all get a fair slice of the cake at the end of our working lives, and not have portions of the population paying towards pensions for others.

Oh, there's no argument between us on "public service", or on the need for pensions justice.

I am campaigning for that fairness and so is my union. I put my money where my mouth is. I don't know what you're doing.

So yeah, there should be equality. However, "fair slice of the cake" is problematic, in terms of fairness, since I've already paid into my pension for 15 years. What justification is there, other than the politics of envy, for someone to come along and say, "oh, we're having that"?

Now, if you're arguing for a decent minimum pension for everyone, sure, good idea. But unless you have that as a pension everyone in the country pays into, then you won't have pensions equality at the end of it, because leaving it to individuals just means the poor often don't choose to have a pension at all, and rich can stuff lots of cash in their schemes and enjoy a massive pension at the end of it.

Yeah, let's have pensions justice. But let's think it through clearly. Let's not have a race to the bottom.

Now I've explained how I believe the Tories primed the British economy for being caught up in the sub-prime lending that leg to the global economic meltdown.

Now I'd like those of you who blame the British Labour Government for everything to explain how they also managed to **** up the economies of other countries like Ireland, Iceland, Greece, Italy, Japan, USA, France, Germany .....

Come on, I'm on the edge of my seat here

Yep. They are. Do bus drivers get a final salary pension from the public purse? After all, they do a public service. The buses used to be rated as PSV (PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLE) which speaks volumes about the unfairness of who is or isnt a public servant.

Some might have some LGPS pension, depends on their work history. It you got them nationalised, or taken back into local authority ownership, maybe that would do it.

So how do we get the bus drivers a decent pension then..? Not by stealing mine, that's for sure. Are the bus drivers up for a fight on this? I know they have in the past.

This is turning into a horrid slanging match and I cannot believe what I am reading from some people who are supposed to be adults ! This is supposed to be a debate about whether or not we agree with the strike and all I have seen in some posts and you know who you are ,are slagging people off personally ! I could not strike because I am a nurse and my patients come first ,but that doesnt mean I like what the government are doing to us ! Some of these people who are slagging us off may well have had relatives who needed our care and we could have saved their lives ,but suppose that means nothing to those who dont support us ! Never mind Im off cos Im not listening anymore