Why should I pay for prescriptions?

I was prescribed some anti-histamines a few weeks ago. Paid my £7.40 at the chemist only to see exactly the same tablets on sale in Sainsburys for 90p.

Either the doctor or the pharmacist should have advised me that it was cheaper to buy it off the shelf.

I was prescribed some anti-histamines a few weeks ago. Paid my £7.40 at the chemist only to see exactly the same tablets on sale in Sainsburys for 90p.

Either the doctor or the pharmacist should have advised me that it was cheaper to buy it off the shelf.

You must use a crap chemist; they always tell us when something is cheaper to buy.:)

I reckon that the pharmacist bought them from Sainsburys.;)

It's a complete and utter joke. Just lie and tell them you are on benefits, if they ask for prove, say you will take it at a later date.

Failing that, everyone is entitled to free prescriptions if they are issued in a hospital. So be a complete and utter arse about it, if you have a simple cold, ring 999 and get yourself down A&E.

They should issue everyone free prescriptions, or charge everyone £1 nominal.

Some things require a prescription to buy, but cost less privately (amoxacillin is a good example). It can actually be rational to import drugs.

I never knew we was entitled to free prescriptions if they was issued at hospital, learn summat everyday

I never knew we was entitled to free prescriptions if they was issued at hospital

We aren't. A prescription issued by a hospital is chargable at the same rate as one issued by a doctor.

To be accurate, if a hospital decides to supply you with medicines from its own pharmacy there is never any charge. That's why hospitals are supposed to issue a prescription for anything that would normally have come from a doctor, and only supply themselves, drugs which for whatever reason don't come on a normal prescription.

I never knew we was entitled to free prescriptions if they was issued at hospital, learn summat everyday

Last time I got a prescription at the hospital it was going to cost me £18 ish, one of the items was a packet of aspirin which they sold me for less than a pound.