Parkwood Landfill

My brother in law used to work for UC. I will ask him next time I see him. They did lots of things though... including killing thousands of Indians. So a little nuclear waste in Sheffield wouldn't be out of the question.

There will have been loads of stuff that leaked from the tip. It is unlikely to have made it to our drinking water. The fish might not be so chuffed though:)

I almost forgot about Bhopal, that was a biggie eh :|

Probably no one will see this as the last post was over 3 years ago, but having worked at Union Carbide for 28 years from 1965 -1993 I can assure anyone that there was no radioactive materials used in the process nor held on site at any time. Extremely fine dust was always a problem and anything for site disposable would be bagged to avoid it spreading.

Probably no one will see this as the last post was over 3 years ago, but having worked at Union Carbide for 28 years from 1965 -1993 I can assure anyone that there was no radioactive materials used in the process nor held on site at any time. Extremely fine dust was always a problem and anything for site disposable would be bagged to avoid it spreading.

It didn't stop it spreading across the Parkwood it killed all the bluebells.

The dust was graphite, perfectly inert, the only way it could kill the bluebells is if it was thick enough to smother them. The raw materials used at UCAR consisted of petroleum coke, metallurgical coke and pitch. We produced graphite electrodes for the arc steel industries and graphite sleeves for the nuclear power stations. The sleeves were shipped to power stations where they were filled with fuel rods. We didn't use any chemicals other than the pitch in the processes.

The dust was graphite, perfectly inert, the only way it could kill the bluebells is if it was thick enough to smother them. The raw materials used at UCAR consisted of petroleum coke, metallurgical coke and pitch. We produced graphite electrodes for the arc steel industries and graphite sleeves for the nuclear power stations. The sleeves were shipped to power stations where they were filled with fuel rods. We didn't use any chemicals other than the pitch in the processes.

Got it in one..

I remember the first time I witnessed the sticks being lowered into the furnace I remarked how this must be similar to being in hell, the noise was horrific.:gag:

---------- Post added 25-10-2014 at 17:58 ----------

Thinking about it, yes I can. I always carried on until I got to Parkwood Springs though, so never bothered looking at the drums. It would be interesting to find out what officially should have been in the drums and what was actually in the drums?

Could the drums have contained gannister which was mined on Parkwood?

Terrible news when they also state this week:

A Green City Strategy is set to be rubber-stamped by Sheffield councillors this week. The council wants a lower carbon economy and greater resilience to climate change.

“However, this growth has so far not resulted in a less polluted or more equal city. A move towards a lower carbon and cleaner economy would enable our city to grow and evolve whilst at the same time improving our environment and the quality of life of our citizens.”

yet have had to spend £1 million to clean their own pollution at Parkwood Springs and Beighton.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/making-sheffield-cleaner-and-greener-1-9071590

As a kid I used to shoot rats on the tip almost every other day and at the weekends ride my motocross bikes on Parkwood Springs.

Do you remember the old Ropers tip right down the hill behind Shirecliffe College, that was where we used to find sealed transparent plastic bags with pairs of gloves in them covered in grey powder, also inside each bag was a sheet of paper that was headed Windscale and had printed on it questions about radioactive levels and boxes that were filled in by hand with numbers.

I thought this was common knowledge.

have you checked how many fingers and toes you now have ?? The things we did as kids would make the elf and safety brigade have heart attacks!!:loopy:

Parkwood landfill is where the quarry ends and goes north to where the college was,but that's not the only one.There was the gas tip across from the power station,the bin tip at shirecliffe and field houses tip on clubmill rd.The watercourse has to be affected by this lot,there used to be several springs at Parkwood,long since gone.I forgot ropers tip next to the bin tip,graphite everywhere.

The watercourse has to be affected by this lot,there used to be several springs at Parkwood,long since gone.

When did they disappear? When I worked at the Ski Village the water used on the slopes was pumped from the springs. I also went to a well with a cover on the left where a spring was and had to take samples every so often. It was probably know then that the water could possible get polluted from the tip.

Edited by apelike

I live basically across the road and not had any issues from the landfil, i'm more annoyed at the school they are currently building directly over from my front door! - Building noises all day every day from 7am to 7pm, since September.... and it's still going on....

Although, I didn't think the Parkwood site was used anymore, - and recent reports state they are emitting noxious gasses...