Who made your suits in the 60s

dads suits were always barney goodmans, pity I didn't appreciate at the time, going back to late 60's and 70's, all my mates dads were trendy and wore jeans, something my father never did.:roll:

I rememmber Holdens from Walkley,he was a £1 a week for a suit,trouble was he was a right conning old git,but also funny as well.Once got measured up for a wedding suit,gave him plenty of time to make it (6 weeks) Told him that if it wasn't ready he'd be stuck with it.No problem he said.I went down to pick it up,he says 'here's your jacket',tried it on,fitted perfect.Then he goes,'now where are those trousers?'Stalling me ,knowing full well he hadn't got them.I said,thats it I'm off,'hang on a minute'he says,I'll lend you one just for the wedding.He tries to palm me off with this horrible big checked thing,I says 'its too big & it doesn't even look new',no he says,its my own just back from the cleaners.Then he gives me an all black one he'd ''made for a bouncer''I kid you not,it would have fitted Jimmy Clitheroe.I finally picked one out & he says you can borrow it but promise you won't get any cigarette burns in it because it belongs to Richard Wragg the old Sheff Utd.chairman.You had to laugh at him.

Still got a jacket Gerald made, fitted like a glove--on a foot.

Didn't know the guy in question but, that really made me laugh. There were some real characters in the tailoring trade in those days.

I recall some of the terms used in measuring:

SLABC (stands like a bloody camel)

Late 60's, use to get my suits (3 piece ) from Burtons at the top of Dixon Lane.

Remember my first made to measure suit being a 3 piece in navy blue, double breasted with two vents at the back and worn with a pale blue round tab collared shirt and black Knitted tie ( like the Beatles use to wear ) and cuban heeled boots.

In those days if you couldn't pay all at once for your suit, you could get it on the knocker and pay weekly.

Pity blokes don't wear suits now - only time I get to wear mine now is at funerals.

Ralph Goodman didn,t need to walk far to lose money he just used to go four doors away down the Arcade and into the El Mambo then play the lads on the pinball machine,

I remember a Teddy Boy called Terry Allcock who used to win pounds of him.

if ralph didnt lose money in the snooker hall ,dugie parks or bob green used to nick it off him!!!

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 07:28 ----------

Well Rog, I was still an apprentice bricklayer when i first went to Barney but used to do little jobs on the side if you know what i mean.

The building trade was full of lads who used to dress immaculately, even at work you would get blokes turning up in suits that they would hang on hangers in the cabin.

As to being better of well i would save up for weeks on end just to get my Barney and would not be seen dead in a Burton.

Times have changed now though i have not wore my suite for weeks.

barney goodman.......reed and tailor cloth.... pure class!! sid burks walking on site looking emaculate in his " barney"......

always remember my dadhavng his made on west st thinkit was conways right bell bottoms lol

This thread has brough back memories for me. I had three suits made by Barney Goodman two of which were blue serge. I remember the first time I wore one I felt like a million dollars walking through Sheffield. I also got myself an Isodore Newman suit in 1975, which I have still got. It cost me £100 made up with Reid and Taylor cloth. It was scottish cloth and said to be some of the finest material in the world. I got married in it in 1984 when I was 40 years old and it was still emaculate. Probably the same suit made up today would cost £1000 who knows. I have just been to look at it in the wardrobe and it won't fit me now but it still looks as though it is only a year old.

i had a isodor newman suit made up in 1967 it cost £70,00 . when i went to pick it up the man himself was"nt in . a young guy handed me the suit and just said , thank you. and did"nt ask me for the money. i just walked out........needless to say...i never went back!.

Barney Goodman.

My first for work was Bradford Woollen and the clip around the waist actually went round to my right Hand side.

My first made to measure suit was from Barney Goodmans and it cost me £14 and that was three times what I earned as an Apprentice Electrician and my wedding suit was made by Mackleys as always money well spent.

I paid £90 for a suit made by Fred Lovatt in 1966,an absolute fortune at the time but worth every penny,i felt a million dollars while wearing it.

Probably around early 50's I went to this tailor who had worked for Barney, if you looked down the Moor standing approx Moorhead, he had a storefront (actually up a flight of stairs) on your right-hand side in a warehouse district. I have forgot the guys name. If anybody remembers how in the old days you had to queue for Chara tickets at the SUT bus office in Waingate probably on a Sunday morning, the tailor guy shows up and takes one look at the line up and recognizes me and indicates he's going into work. Anyway I get his tickets, I go to pick up my jacket a couple of weeks later and he only charges me for the cloth and throws the labour in, what a deal.

Do the trousers still fit.

Is Gerald still collecting his ten bob a week.