Who made your suits in the 60s

I had an overcoat made in 1964 by Fred-Erick.

Material by Crombie cut in the raglan style like the old Burberry raincoats.

Bell shape so it still fits around the middle.I still wear it occasionally.

Celebrating it's 50th birthday next year.

sweetdexter - A good bit of Sheffield Crombie to keep you warm in them Ontario Winters, we hardly had any Winter to speak of this year. That Crombe pile and texture always reminded of Axminster carpet.

if ralph didnt lose money in the snooker hall ,dugie parks or bob green used to nick it off him!!!

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 07:28 ----------

barney goodman.......reed and tailor cloth.... pure class!! sid burks walking on site looking emaculate in his " barney"......

hiya i don't know what year it was but was told by peter a workmate of the time he went to barney g for to get measured and after he looked through the cloths he noticed a small roll on a shelf high up when he asked about it he said it was the last piece left so he had a suit made up,on collecting it barney asked him who had sold him and when he said the name ralph barney went spare he said that the cloth was special for just his own use don't think he was too pleased

First suit I bought (leased) was from March the Tailor on the Moor with my paper round money as a deposit, around 1957 cost 14 guineas on the never never! They're still looking for me! lol

My first suit was bought from John Temple's down Attercliffe,complete with waistcoat and cost about £19 in 1962.

Do the trousers still fit.

Is Gerald still collecting his ten bob a week.

I didn't get trousers, wonder if Gerald is still on the planet.

Does anyone remember if it was Spencers or Macklins that had the corner shop at the top end of the Wicker (near Lady's Bridge)?

dads suits were always barney goodmans, pity I didn't appreciate at the time, going back to late 60's and 70's, all my mates dads were trendy and wore jeans, something my father never did.:roll:
My dads suits were made by Barney Goodman also Bill Mackley.

I didn't get trousers, wonder if Gerald is still on the planet.

He was never on the Planet although I remember him stood outside our house one Friday tea time waving through the window.

Never did find out what he wanted:)

I could never afford to go to a proper tailor like Barney Goodman so I bought mine at Burtons. Seems to me that even the chain tailors made your suits to measure though - didn't just pull one off the rack.

sweetdexter - A good bit of Sheffield Crombie to keep you warm in them Ontario Winters, we hardly had any Winter to speak of this year. That Crombe pile and texture always reminded of Axminster carpet.

It is kind of heavy(5 lb)more like a horse blanket than a carpet

Bought a couple of pieces of Mohair cloth from the manufacturer in Leeds and had Ashley Wilkes from Handsworth make up the suits. The material was like newspaper or tissue. Not much protection walking down Yonge St in January 1967 minus 16!. Still we thought we were "it" . lol