Turf wars in Sheffield

London riots and this instance in Sheffield are two completely separate cases. I think there are more layers to what happened in London than an onion. What's happening in Sheffield is just shallow and pure idiocy and as someone mentioned earlier "education education education" this is just idiot children looking for something to have a ruck about with no real grounding. the same as "post code gangs" and the same as "football crews". if two people want to fight and kill over a non-issue then I say let them. perhaps the loss of life will be the only thing that will educate them on the futility of their pathetic behaviour.

But in the article it says that this boy was a first year civil engineering student at Hallam. That fact alone shows that he was in education beyond the minimum, got something out of it and likely had more than minimal parental involvement.

Very sad somebody who had something going for him had this happen to him, but it does show that to a certain extent the portrayal of people involved in this kind of behaviour as victims does not hold true and they get involved because they like it and they want to, not because society forced them to.

If Aborigines & Native American Indians, can be classed as the indigenous peoples of their lands - why cannot also those in the UK, who are of Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Nordic origins?

Very good point, but the far left will label you fascist/racist/edl/bnp.

Edited by stevie1957

Its awfully sad yes, and awfully sad for us as a city that this has happened and is happening in this day and age.

I think education surpasses books and lectures sometimes and runs into having the knowledge of citizenship, common decency, behaviour, attitude and maturity. Things that books cannot always give us. Perhaps the educational level of his peers in this instance brought his capacity to judge right from wrong to questionable levels.

How? Seriously? I know about the Normans and the War of the Roses and the Civil War but with the exception of perhaps the civil war these were disputes between the ruling classes. Britain is not known for it's turf wars at all. We're nothing like countries like Afghanistan or Rwanda or Somalia where there is a history of different factions fighting. In fact in general we have always been a fairly peace cohesive country with little infighting. I'm struggling to think of what you are referring to?

Well, if you take a Marxist perspective, you will find that it's to do with post modernism. We now have what's called subcultural groups being created

For example in school, you have your Emos, Goths, 'Cool guys' etc. It's an identity that one feels they belong to

Now, turf wars is very similar, but it is a subcultural group within post codes.

We can blame the Americans for a lot of this culture, but what will that do?

Quotes like "I'll get my strap/glock" :loopy: . Media glorifying gang culture.

Further to this, dysfunction family behaviour can be added too

This is on a smaller scale, so from county to county war to post code wars..

Very good point, but the far left will label you fascist/racist/edl/bnp.

Yes, I fear so my friend - although nothing could be further from the truth. I welcome people of all colours & faiths - as long as they learn English, contribute positively to UK society & adopt/respect British ways & customs.

How? Seriously? I know about the Normans and the War of the Roses and the Civil War but with the exception of perhaps the civil war these were disputes between the ruling classes. Britain is not known for it's turf wars at all. We're nothing like countries like Afghanistan or Rwanda or Somalia where there is a history of different factions fighting. In fact in general we have always been a fairly peace cohesive country with little infighting. I'm struggling to think of what you are referring to?

Scotland? Wales? Northern Ireland?

I rest my case.