No more Police Chopper in Sheffield?

Just seen on T.V news That sheffield police chopper will no longer be based in sheffield from Jan 2013 !! forgot where it will now be based but it will take around 20mins if its needed for anything in sheffield Your Thoughts ??

My opinion is this is a bad move , i know its due to maybe cuts in police etc but it does a good job in sheffield in my opinion

my opinion ? - great news :thumbsup:

If the copper chopper was to be taken from Sheffield it would be a sad day for everyone here.

Why would it be a sad day for everyone here? It would be a happy day for me as I think the money they spend on flying helicopters would be better spent on employing police on the ground.

From what I've seen on the police helicopter shows on TV they're mostly used to track kids who have stolen cars. For sure that's a crime that needs stopping, but the Police helicopter isn't value for money for catching petty criminals like that.

Far better employ more police on the ground.

Why would it be a sad day for everyone here? It would be a happy day for me as I think the money they spend on flying helicopters would be better spent on employing police on the ground.

From what I've seen on the police helicopter shows on TV they're mostly used to track kids who have stolen cars. For sure that's a crime that needs stopping, but the Police helicopter isn't value for money for catching petty criminals like that.

Far better employ more police on the ground.

You are deluded if you think the police force are going to employ more officers as a result of binning the helicopter.

I'm glad it's being shared. It must cost a lot to keep it flying and it can't be value for money.

Surely it is value for money.

Haven't you seen the TV programmes? They'll chase a few chavs in a nicked Corsa for half an hour, catch them :clap:

Have them on TWOC, speeding, running lights, no license, no insurance, banned from driving [despite never having a license], drugged up, ******, and all this whilst not wearing a seatbelt in the correct manner...

Conclusion: End of the programme... Narrator - 'the charges on the boys who were caught in the Corsa, were dropped'. :hihi:

Haven't you seen the TV programmes? They'll chase a few chavs in a nicked Corsa for half an hour, catch them :clap:

Have them on TWOC, speeding, running lights, no license, no insurance, banned from driving [despite never having a license], drugged up, ******, and all this whilst not wearing a seatbelt in the correct manner...

Conclusion: End of the programme... Narrator - 'the charges on the boys who were caught in the Corsa, were dropped'. :hihi:

And that is what 'urinates' me off the most. They spend thousands of pounds catching these scrotes, only for them to get off with a conditional discharge or at the very worst, a driving ban! :huh: These are the same people driving around without a license in the first place. Banning them is going to do NOTHING!!!!

You can't blame the helicopter police service, blame the courts and the police prosecutors.

Why can't SY Police afford it?

Its not that SY police don't want to pay for it. The government want to create a national police air service to aid in reducing costs with bigger purchasing power etc. This move is being forced upon SY police by them. I remember seeing Med Hughes on look north supporting the retention of the helicopter in Sheffield. West Yorkshires helicopter is based at Wakefield, Humberside is at Humberside Airport and Derbyshires at Claycross. There are certainly going to be more criminals get away with their actions as a result of this move.