No more Police Chopper in Sheffield?

Surely it is value for money.

Haven't you seen the TV programmes? They'll chase a few chavs in a nicked Corsa for half an hour, catch them :clap:

Have them on TWOC, speeding, running lights, no license, no insurance, banned from driving [despite never having a license], drugged up, ******, and all this whilst not wearing a seatbelt in the correct manner...

Conclusion: End of the programme... Narrator - 'the charges on the boys who were caught in the Corsa, were dropped'. :hihi:

You can't blame the helicopter police service, blame the courts and the police prosecutors.

Why can't SY Police afford it?

Its not that SY police don't want to pay for it. The government want to create a national police air service to aid in reducing costs with bigger purchasing power etc. This move is being forced upon SY police by them. I remember seeing Med Hughes on look north supporting the retention of the helicopter in Sheffield. West Yorkshires helicopter is based at Wakefield, Humberside is at Humberside Airport and Derbyshires at Claycross. There are certainly going to be more criminals get away with their actions as a result of this move.

What is happening to the helicopter itself, is it being sold? in which case surely the saving is more than 668,000. Was it originally bought using funds from south yorkshire tax payers or was it funded centrally.

dont mind it but not at 2 oclock in morning

It's a pity we are losing it, i think that we will share it with Nottingham Police Force

dont mind it but not at 2 oclock in morning

Perhaps you could put a plea out for all criminals not to operate in your area

at around 2 am in the morning then.

my opinion ? - great news :thumbsup:

I agree with that.

It is and has been a waste of money and not a very cost effective way of policing as the actual arrests as a direct result of using the chopper was small. Not having one will hardly impact on criminal activity and perhaps now it will be put to better use.

Its not that SY police don't want to pay for it. The government want to create a national police air service to aid in reducing costs with bigger purchasing power etc. This move is being forced upon SY police by them. I remember seeing Med Hughes on look north supporting the retention of the helicopter in Sheffield. West Yorkshires helicopter is based at Wakefield, Humberside is at Humberside Airport and Derbyshires at Claycross. There are certainly going to be more criminals get away with their actions as a result of this move.
the derbyshire helicopter is not based at clay cross, it is based at ripley in derbyshire & is actually called the north midlands air support, they currently share the helicopter with nottinghamshire constabulary

sooner its gone the better ,it,s nearly allways over s5 area essp late at night /early morning

every body thinks the same as me we need it sheffield is getting bad

You can't blame the helicopter police service, blame the courts and the police prosecutors.

You're correct it wouldn't be their fault. However, if my slightly sarcastic scenario was a common occurrence, and the courts and prosecutors weren't getting results, then the chopper would effectively be an inefficient use of resources when it is serving just one force (or even multiple forces).