Stocksbridge: What's it like?

on the upside as some nice new developments and some more professional people

What are the new developments and why would more professional people enhance an area?I think that is a bit of a snub to non-professionals.It may be estate agent speak in SW17 but can cause offence up here duck.

My point exactly - haven't you taken that personally!!!!!!

Similar to Beighton eh, but can you drive to Bramall Lane, park up and take your seat, all in 10 minutes, like certain Beighton folk? ;)

Doesn't sound possible to me sounds like someone is a master of exagerration.

Any link to this claim?.

Having lived in some very nice places in Sheffield we decided to move to Deepcar (next to Stocksbridge) and can honestly say it was the best move we made. The views are fantastic and the schools are some of the best in Sheffield, especially the high school). If you have the chance of a property I would go for it and ignore the idiots who say it is inbread which everyone has heard a million times before.

here here! yes you have your rough places, i moved up there 5 years ago from Oughtibridge and would not go back! Where we live is lovely and quiet. OK it is a bit far out! Only trouble I have is getting out of stocksbridge in the winter with the snow and ice, I have to get down so many hills! Go for it!

well i dint think my post would cause this much of a debate!!! lol, im very grateful of all your comments, im not sure what to believe lol, all i can say is stocksbridge has got to be better than where i am now!! im currently in temp acc in firth park/wincobank (flower estate) and all my family live in wisewood so being that side of town would be better for me, the only thing that scares me is that my sons got to move school, he's at wisewood at the moment and doing brill after getting help for his learning difficulties, but moving him school will cause him upset and the school dont want him to be moved but the distance is a big issue, iv been told that the schools in stocksbridge are good and then some say they are pants to put it nice lol, i just hope that if i dont settle il be able to exchange with someone whos closer to wisewood than i would be. (the road im moving to is chestnut ave so if anyone knows what that bit is like please feel free to give info) thanx again :huh::)

well i dint think my post would cause this much of a debate!!! lol, im very grateful of all your comments, im not sure what to believe lol, all i can say is stocksbridge has got to be better than where i am now!! im currently in temp acc in firth park/wincobank (flower estate) and all my family live in wisewood so being that side of town would be better for me, the only thing that scares me is that my sons got to move school, he's at wisewood at the moment and doing brill after getting help for his learning difficulties, but moving him school will cause him upset and the school dont want him to be moved but the distance is a big issue, iv been told that the schools in stocksbridge are good and then some say they are pants to put it nice lol, i just hope that if i dont settle il be able to exchange with someone whos closer to wisewood than i would be. (the road im moving to is chestnut ave so if anyone knows what that bit is like please feel free to give info) thanx again :huh::)

I can't be bothered to read this whole thread as for some reason mention stocksbridge and everyone suddenly reverts to having a mental age of 5 on SF.

I don't live too far from Chestnut ave, I moved here around 4 years ago. I find the area fine. Really close to some lovely countryside, plenty of local nice green places to walk my dog, shops etc like to coop are close and open til quite late. Convenient for docs, chemists etc. The leisure centre with swimming pool is walkable. My neighbours are all nice and friendly too. Transport into town is pretty good with the supertram/link bus.

Don't listen to anyone who bangs on about snow. In the last two years of bad snow there were only 1.5 days with no public transport (although people do have to walk down to the bottom road some days). I got to work every single snow day without fail either by bus or car, when many people who live far closer didn't bother. Last year in particular the local tractor plough did a brilliant job of clearing my local roads so thumbs up to that bloke.

I don't know about schools as I haven't any children but they seem to have reasonable placings in the league tables.

Of course like any town, there's some really quite nice posh bits with expensive houses and there's some nasty bits populated by utter scum. You'd be best to visit, have a wander round and get the feel for the particular street/area yourself.

In short, would I continue live here if I won the lottery? No (well not IN stocky but I would probably stay fairly near, but more out in the sticks), but for a reasonable affordable place to live that's not 'Sheffistan', it's fine.

I can't be bothered to read this whole thread as for some reason mention stocksbridge and everyone suddenly reverts to having a mental age of 5 on SF.

I don't live too far from Chestnut ave, I moved here around 4 years ago. I find the area fine. Really close to some lovely countryside, plenty of local nice green places to walk my dog, shops etc like to coop are close and open til quite late. Convenient for docs, chemists etc. The leisure centre with swimming pool is walkable. My neighbours are all nice and friendly too. Transport into town is pretty good with the supertram/link bus.

Don't listen to anyone who bangs on about snow. In the last two years of bad snow there were only 1.5 days with no public transport (although people do have to walk down to the bottom road some days). I got to work every single snow day without fail either by bus or car, when many people who live far closer didn't bother. Last year in particular the local tractor plough did a brilliant job of clearing my local roads so thumbs up to that bloke.

I don't know about schools as I haven't any children but they seem to have reasonable placings in the league tables.

Of course like any town, there's some really quite nice posh bits with expensive houses and there's some nasty bits populated by utter scum. You'd be best to visit, have a wander round and get the feel for the particular street/area yourself.

In short, would I continue live here if I won the lottery? No (well not IN stocky but I would probably stay fairly near, but more out in the sticks), but for a reasonable affordable place to live that's not 'Sheffistan', it's fine.

Do you have problems typing with 6 fingers whilst holding a banjo ?

I live on deepcar and there's never any trouble all the neighbours are friendly and the schools are good :-)

I don't live in Stocksbridge, but my crap car once broke down up there. Wasn't long before some v nice big lads gave me a shove to safety, while holding their paper full of chips! Lovely place & beautiful countryside around the town...

Well if you Ever wondered what it's like to see everyone look the same and the sound of steel being forged and not being able escape to reality well it's ur place

The Junior school is one of the best in Sheffield and is consistantly near to or at the top of the league tables. This is some acheivement when it betters schools from much more affluent areas.

I lived in Stocky while growing up and can honestly say the estates are **** holes, I lived in one of the few nice areas. The rest is just a dump, scrubber kids running around the streets, gangs of youths with nothing to do apart from drinking and taking drugs.

As I said the nice bits are good, pubs are very inbred, schools were crap.

Also IMO with social housing people shouldn't be able to pick and choose and what ever you get offered you should take or goto the back of the line.

I lived in Stocky while growing up and can honestly say the estates are **** holes, I lived in one of the few nice areas. The rest is just a dump, scrubber kids running around the streets, gangs of youths with nothing to do apart from drinking and taking drugs.

As I said the nice bits are good, pubs are very inbred, schools were crap.

Also IMO with social housing people shouldn't be able to pick and choose and what ever you get offered you should take or goto the back of the line.

i wasn't being picky in the area, im just trying to find out what the area is like for schools and stuff as my son has learning problems, and with social housing i agree but i was made homeless thru no fault of my own!! im happy iv been offered stocksbridge its a far better place than most in sheffield. no need to be funny now is there :huh: