Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Like you Richard, My memories of Eddie are fond. Being a bit older than you, I can remember that he nursed his own father through years of illness. Society, especially kids (and I'm as guilty as anyone), can be cruel to outsiders, regardless of the circumstances.

I have a foto of him somewhere. I must see if I can find it.

i would love a copy of that photo,i often tell my daughter and young nephews about eddie bedsprings(it was a buchanan road name),those over southey called him bedspread,so he had different versions depending on where you came from.

As soon as I can get the other half to move! I keep nagging her.

Do the Smiths still have that little car? Theres half a dozen of the things here where I live and every time I see one I think of the Cross and his daughter lifting bloody great sacks of spuds with one hand onto the back of that van.

I knew Michael Smith I used to work with him when he was 16yrs old and I was 17, I thought he was a nice lad, and he made me laugh. Back then he was only about 5ft and all the workers teased him rotten. His Mam died when he was young the youngest was only 9mths old I'm told. His sister Pat took over as mother. I went out with her a couple of times, we used to take our kids down to the Ecclesfield village sit in the beer garden in the Greyhound pub.This was a long time ago, my kids are in their 40s now. Remember when Michael Smith cleaned windows, he used to clean my mams when she lived on Milnrow Rd.

My mum used to live on Milnrow I think #94 but it was a long time ago. Names I remember are Taylor, Hackett,Cain (sp) Asquith.....

My mum used to live on Milnrow I think #94 but it was a long time ago. Names I remember are Taylor, Hackett,Cain (sp) Asquith.....

When I was growing up I lived at 25 Milnrow Rd Theaker was my maiden name. There was a field opposite us, now there's apartments there.We were in a semi, the next door adjoining us were actually on Milnrow Dr. I think I remember a Taylors living on the part of Milnrow that finished at Holgate, is that where they lived? I know Michael Smith lived at that end of Milnrow.

........why did they call the gennel just down from the smiths the 8 foot?

Could it be eight foot wide ?

My mum used to live on Milnrow I think #94 but it was a long time ago. Names I remember are Taylor, Hackett, Cain

Those names ring a bell. I think Taylor was involved with lawn mowers.

Also Hayes, Atkins, Shepherd, Barker, Dixon, Otter, Platts, Gould, Dempsey, Morren, Hancock, Hempshall etc.

We had Atkins living next door, also further up the street, the Atkins had four daughters just like us, Margaret the eldest was my friend. There was a Mrs Shepherd further up, She was a friend of Mam's She had two sons and a daughter Rita, I think one son was called Frank, was the other Ron?

I knew Michael Smith .

Last time I spoke to Mick Smith, he said that he was joining the BNP, to stop all the immigrants from taking our jobs. I had to smile at the irony, as Mick hadn't been employed for over 30 years at this point - he was a professional sponger of the highest order!

Last time I spoke to Mick Smith, he said that he was joining the BNP, to stop all the immigrants from taking our jobs. I had to smile at the irony, as Mick hadn't been employed for over 30 years at this point - he was a professional sponger of the highest order!

yep tracey aswell the sooner these racist move the better off we will be :D

Well Bushbaby Iv'e been in Canada 34yrs and it was years before that I knew him, so you could be right. A couple of times I've bumped into him when I've been over on vacation, he always remembers me. The last time I saw him about 10yrs ago he asked hubby's permission to give me a hug!

Can anyone recall Joan Barry who use to work at a Wheata Road shop called Shentalls?

I think the shop was next to the Chip Shop which Mr & Mrs Bellhouse ran in the 1947 - 1960s+