Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Enjoy ppl rambling when it brings back the memories. Stuart and Pat are still together as far as I know. His sister Angie is on Southey now. God you've jogged my memory. So "barry" has been outed for the bully he was. Haha. Sorry to hear about David IF the allegations are untrue. Whatever happened to Brian? I do know that their Mother Margaret has passed away.

He's stood again today in Firth Park ward.....still on Wordsworth and probably still needing a bath.

I'm not quite sure that the work-shy scrounging layabout will get my vote! I couldn't vote for a man who used to plug his ice-cream van into the streetlight to keep his freezer on overnight, or who took his family on holiday in a Co-Op Furniture van and stayed in a car park in Skeggy, or who spends time working on cars for pin money, then claims he can't work cause he has a bad back!!

I'm not quite sure that the work-shy scrounging layabout will get my vote! I couldn't vote for a man who used to plug his ice-cream van into the streetlight to keep his freezer on overnight, or who took his family on holiday in a Co-Op Furniture van and stayed in a car park in Skeggy, or who spends time working on cars for pin money, then claims he can't work cause he has a bad back!!

are you talking about mick smith ?

Enjoy ppl rambling when it brings back the memories. Stuart and Pat are still together as far as I know. His sister Angie is on Southey now. God you've jogged my memory. So "barry" has been outed for the bully he was. Haha. Sorry to hear about David IF the allegations are untrue. Whatever happened to Brian? I do know that their Mother Margaret has passed away.

last heard,or should i say saw him at skeggy market,working down there in his semi retirement(his words),never knew him work before then!!!!!did you know the oakes,s,websters & parkers as well??? i must know you if you know the butlers and caldwells.

last heard,or should i say saw him at skeggy market,working down there in his semi retirement(his words),never knew him work before then!!!!!did you know the oakes,s,websters & parkers as well??? i must know you if you know the butlers and caldwells.

Sorry mate but I dont know the others

I'm sure there was a Tardis at the junction of Buchanan Road and Adlington Road.

hi

i went to live on parson cross in 1947. at launce rd number 62, .

would eny one remember mr hinds at southy green school.

Hi Albert,

I guess I finished work at Rodgers around 1959. At that time it was still pretty much operating as it ever did except for the fact that all operations had ceased in Sheaf St a bit earlier and the whole factory operated from the Pond Hill factory. It could be that the housing dept was operating in the old Sheaf St works but it doesn't ring any bells. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the Thompson family. Perhaps we should try to put a date to when we knew certain people. Even small differences in ages could mean that you either knew someone or you didn't even though they lived quite close. The Cycle Speedway that I speak of was definitely on the bit of spare ground at the end of Deerlands Ave. There was also a Tip there. Whether this was an official Tip or just one locals had created I don't know. I think that the petrol station that also fronted on to Barnsley Rd at that point was a Mobil station and the track was right behind it. The petrol station was later replaced by The Huntsman pub. All this would have been early to mid fifties I think. I know where you mean when you mention the 8foot but that was a fair way down Deerlands Ave so we didn't often venture that way. Must work ............ talk soon

hi Brian, just reading through and saw you worked at Joseph Rodgers and wondered if you knew my cousin, her name was Ann Payne as she worked there around that time, and funnily enough she also emigrated to Oz, in 1965 though to Canberra

What a good few hours I have spent reading the recollections of Parson Cross, from both old and new residents. It brought back many memories, some lost with the passage of time, rekindling the good times, and the sometimes bad times of my early life.

My family were allocated a house on the ‘New’ cross in the late forties, it wasn’t such a welcoming time then as some of the houses were still under construction, I think ‘Jerry’ built could be an used as an apt description, although we did have the luxury of a bath and two toilets, albeit one was outside.

Steel widow frames that conducted the cold inwards, chipping ice off the glass in the winter (inside), congregating in the only room with a fireplace, and sleeping under heaps of blankets, and coats, so as to avoid hypothermia, ah! what times.

1 was one of the kids who was daily transported across the border to Hartley Brook Junior and Infant school, although I quite enjoyed my time there, I hated the school meals, no choice and you had to eat them, the thought of Semolina still makes me shudder, I was forced to sit there until I’d eaten it all, by that time it was always stone cold. But on the whole, my early years on the Cross were quite enjoyable, we had little money in our household, but then again who did, perhaps that’s why crime in the neighbourhood was low, there wasn’t much worth stealing.

The biggest culture shock was when I moved up to secondary education at Colley School, I disliked it from day one, and as the years passed, I grew to hate it and would use any means to avoid attending. I disliked the majority of the teaching staff and likewise they disliked me, which probably accounted for the vast amount of time I spent waiting outside the offices of Harry Birch and Shaw. On reflection I suppose the major cause of the trouble I would often find myself in, was a conflict of personalities, I being a rebellious adolescent (obnoxious teenager) and on the other side, some of the teaching staff were overbearing self-indulgent bullies, with some exceptions. I suppose also, I was expected to follow in the steps of my elder sister who had started at the school around 1950-51 and had risen to head prefect. How strange then, taking into account my passionate dislike of so many of them, that I can so vividly remember the individual names and faces of the ’enemy’. Brightmore (Maths) Burgin (Maths) Holden (English) Wetherall (French) Jackson aka Fizzer (Geography) The Ollerenshaw cousins (R.K. and Science) Gibbs (Science) Scowcroft (Metalwork) Crow (Woodwork) I believe he went on to marry the RK teacher Miss Scruton.

Mason (Gardening) Copley (P.T.) Mrs. Moore (History and English) Mrs.Salvita (English) Miss Cooper (Art) Miss Bradshaw and Mrs. Coulson (Cookery/Needlework) Piper (Music)

I haven’t visited the Cross for about 30 years, it’s so sad to read of it’s demise, all the demolition that has taken place, but I wouldn’t half liked to have been the one to bulldoze the school, although I would have preferred to have done it at the time I attended.

I think you must have been at Colley about the same time as I was there, because i remember all those teachers, and i know Mrs Moore was only there for a short time. Were you there when Miss Piper was there too, she was like Mrs Moore ateacher at Monteney before moving up to Colley. I was in Brightmores class he was my form teacher for 2 years and I admired him greatly, i was petrified of him but admired him, my favourite memory of him will always be........by pythag FB......lol

I think you must have been at Colley about the same time as I was there, because i remember all those teachers, and i know Mrs Moore was only there for a short time. Were you there when Miss Piper was there too, she was like Mrs Moore ateacher at Monteney before moving up to Colley. I was in Brightmores class he was my form teacher for 2 years and I admired him greatly, i was petrified of him but admired him, my favourite memory of him will always be........by pythag FB......lol

Here is a photo of the old steel classrooms at Colley - all gone now.

are you talking about mick smith ?

Yes I am. neighbour of mine for 30 years. A man with dark secrets.

I'm sure there was a Tardis at the junction of Buchanan Road and Adlington Road.

Yes there definitely was. I once went in it, when I was giving a statement about a road accident I'd witnessed, and not because I'd been arrested or anything!. Disappointingly, it was the same size inside as outside.