Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Barbara Atkin was Margaret's younger sister, now I'm giving away my age! Rita Shepherd was the same age as my youngest sister Ann.

I use to play in that stream too, didn't know it was named 'Tongue Gutter' though. Mam told us never to play there but we did of course, we used to walk through the tunnel too. :D

margaret,sandra,susan & barbara,their father was called frank,sandra married graham holt,susan married pete swann,barbara once gave me the shock of my life one morning when i called to see her dad,she had stayed the night,and was in just her nightie when i opened the back door,shouting"only me frank".best christmas present ever!!!! thanks baps...sorry,i mean babs.

margaret,sandra,susan & barbara,their father was called frank,sandra married graham holt,susan married pete swann,barbara once gave me the shock of my life one morning when i called to see her dad,she had stayed the night,and was in just her nightie when i opened the back door,shouting"only me frank".best christmas present ever!!!! thanks baps...sorry,i mean babs.

Yes their Dad was an avid gardener, they weren't allowed to play in their own garden! but me and Margaret used to steal rose petals while he was at work. We would mix them with water to make perfume, ha ha, it stank horrible :gag: Her Dad used to always buy lots of fruit and then always offered me an apple, only fruit I got almost. I remember clearly sat on the kerb with Margaret waiting for her youngest sister Susan to be born. My maiden name was Theaker by the way, I wonder who you are and if I knew you?

We used to go under the tunnel that went under Holgate Avenue and we used to get covered in leeches.

Come on Jabbers don't try and freak me out, wishful thinking isn't it? England isn't the tropic's thank god. What were they black slugs? I hate them too!!

Come on Jabbers don't try and freak me out, wishful thinking isn't it? England isn't the tropic's thank god. What were they black slugs? I hate them too!!

No real horse leeches! The stream is infested with them and always has been.

I bet a lot of people could back me up on that too, Ive had a terror of leeches ever since I was a kid because of that stream.

Really! You're not kidding me then? I'm just glad none stuck to me :gag: Maybe in my day they weren't there then, it would be twenty years or more after me that you went in there. Must be global warming and all that, Can you tell I'm in denial? must go :smile:

I'm a Bush (surprise surprise!!) as mentioned above.

Mom (Angela) is still on the go. She's 88 and lives in sheltered accomodation near Hillsboro Park.

Lots of the listed names ring bells:-

Seniors, Baldwins and Ledgers were all family friends, and I knew many of the other families on the list.

A personal email from any of them would be welcome.

I married a Bloomer sadly Ernest died about 6yrs ago aged 66

I married a Bloomer sadly Ernest died about 6yrs ago aged 66

My mum passed away last year at the grand old age of 91

I've just thought of Raymond Pollard too, he lived on the corner house of Wordworth Avenue and Milnrow Drive.

The Pollards emigrated to Oz in about 1968/69. Ray's elder sister, Lois, came back a few years later, but I think the rest of the family stayed there.

Yes their Dad was an avid gardener, they weren't allowed to play in their own garden! but me and Margaret used to steal rose petals while he was at work. We would mix them with water to make perfume, ha ha, it stank horrible :gag: Her Dad used to always buy lots of fruit and then always offered me an apple, only fruit I got almost. I remember clearly sat on the kerb with Margaret waiting for her youngest sister Susan to be born. My maiden name was Theaker by the way, I wonder who you are and if I knew you?

i was franks carer in his later years,thats how i know margaret and barbara,but i knew sandra and susan before,my sister went out with sandra,s son for years.I am originally from buchanan road,went to southey green school,the on to chaucer,leaving in 76. my mothers family,the wraggs,are from wordsworth.maybe you knew them,they had doreen,joyce,evelyn,sylvia & john(jack).

i was franks carer in his later years,thats how i know margaret and barbara,but i knew sandra and susan before,my sister went out with sandra,s son for years.I am originally from buchanan road,went to southey green school,the on to chaucer,leaving in 76. my mothers family,the wraggs,are from wordsworth.maybe you knew them,they had doreen,joyce,evelyn,sylvia & john(jack).

Sorry I don't think I do know you, me and Margaret went to Yew lane Secondary school, but we wasn't in the same class, but we were in the same year. We went I separate ways once we left school, so say hi from me if you happen to bump into Margaret. I had a Alan Wragg in my class maybe your 2nd cousin or something? I think he lived in the Mansel area.

The Pollards emigrated to Oz in about 1968/69. Ray's elder sister, Lois, came back a few years later, but I think the rest of the family stayed there.

Thanks. Wow - I never knew that, but it explains why no one I know has seen Raymond Pollard for the last 40 years or so.

Hope they did well for themselves down under. My parents considered going to Australia in the sixties too. It would have cost just £10 because Oz needed people. I never found out why they decided against it.

The Hunstman was the first pub I ever tasted alcohol in.......

.........I didnt go back to the Huntsman after that because I discovered the pubs of Hillsborough and town, but I knew a few people who drank there regularly and they loved it.

The Huntsman at the junction of Barnsley Road and Deerlands Avenue is well on the way to being a block of flats.

Kids of tomorrow will be asking if a pub was ever there at all.