The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Is it near meadow hall? Wherever it is the surveyors have already been round .. Its due to open in 2015.

Really?

Funny that no planning application has been received and the public consultation process hasn't began yet.

These things take a long time yet you are sure the store will open within 4 years!

There would be something in the press if planning has been applied for.

Considering they had to build a new motorway junction at Warrington when that IKEA opened, and various large scale projects have been turned down by local councils because of pressure on existing roads (Salford racecourse being a recent one) there is no way it will go wherever there's something currently nearby.

Considering they had to build a new motorway junction at Warrington when that IKEA opened, and various large scale projects have been turned down by local councils because of pressure on existing roads (Salford racecourse being a recent one) there is no way it will go wherever there's something currently nearby.

I think this is a red herring.

There's not just an IKEA at the Warrington junction. Similarly at the Leeds Ikea, there are plenty of other outlets. It's important that there is a main arterial road nearby, mainly to allow people to get there from other towns and villages, and also to minimise the need for major road modifications locally (as any roads are expensive). It makes sense to put an Ikea on a retail park, as much of the infrastructure (roads, drains, electricity sub-stations etc) can be sized to suit, and economies of scale achieved. The overall cost to each retailer (or to the local authority if they are responsible for the roads) is therefore reduced.

I've only been to the Warrington Ikea once, with no traffic problems. I've been to the Leeds Ikea on plenty of occasions, including when the Ikea itself has been very busy. Even then, with Ikea's own car park being at breaking point, ie full with traffic waiting for a space, the numbers of cars actually entering and leaving onto the surrounding roads, is still quite small, and doesn't add much to the congestion.

If there was an Ikea close to Meadowhall, it would of course add to traffic movements, but I reckon the effect due to Ikea would be barely measurable in comparison to the Meadowhall traffic itself.