The IKEA in Sheffield thread

salsafan talks dribble! Couldn't have put it better myself! Weird English too, for someone born in Sheffield, South Yorks... Like how they bend fairly easily though - from the notion that Sheffield was filled with independent stores, to the idea that these stores only existed in small pockets, with none in the main shopping areas (Fargate area of city/Meadowhall shopping precinct)

Oh what codswallop! If you read what I wrote. I wrote I was "bred" here. Not born here. First of all, read properly.

I bend easily? I talk business sense, and not BS like you do. They are small businesses ? Are they really ? They are not small businesses that are sustainable and adds to the global market.

That is because I am talking about business, whereas you are talking from the viewpoint of a consumer, and you even champion Ikea and give them your earned money, AND increase the Swedish GDP than the UK GDP! That is the difference. What a traitor you are.

If Sheffield people have attitudes like yours, it is no wonder that their business model is not long-term self sustaining in any respect. It does not ride through economic cycles. If businesses can and are indeed worthy, then surely, the local council will not go through a promotional phase to kick start people to think long-term and global ? Why would such "festivals" exist ? http://www.madefestival.com/ For so called entrepreneurs ?

Edited by salsafan

Oh what codswallop! If you read what I wrote. I wrote I was "bred" here. Not born here. First of all, read properly.

I bend easily? I talk business sense, and not BS like you do. They are small businesses ? Are they really ? They are not small businesses that are sustainable and adds to the global market.

That is because I am talking about business, whereas you are talking from the viewpoint of a consumer, and you even champion Ikea and give them your earned money, AND increase the Swedish GDP than the UK GDP! That is the difference. What a traitor you are.

You seem to be either trying to drum up commissons for a mate who may or may not be good at making furniture, or be a troll... If it's the first, you are getting peoples backs up, if you are just trolling, then good luck! I'm out!

salsafan you talk absolute dribble. What has restoring old furniture got to do with an IKEA in Sheffield. They are different markets, they sell to different people. If someone is moving into their first house or want's to change their old worn out furniture cheaply they can currently go to argos, B&Q, or the the supermarkets that have started doing furniture. I have been looking for a small chest of drawers for a while now and none of the above has anything like what I need in the price range I'm looking at but IKEA has. I just haven't had the time to go to leeds or nottingham.

I've looked in the antique shops and second hand shops as well and frankly the stuff is as shoddy as it is expensive.

I talk dribble? Please think again.

They are not different markets. They are furnitures.

Take a coffee table for example. Instead of revamping a piece of furniture. People will pay money to discard it. Or to get rid of it. (Not thinking about reselling. Loss of potential money.) Then, they will pay money for a piece of new furniture.

If you buy into the "market", then really, Ikea has got you, right? Yet, it is indeed fair to say that, "modernism" is what makes one feels progressive. Having modern furnitures makes you feel a part of the here and now.

I am saying that, refurbishing furnitures can indeed replace the need of Ikea furnitures. If Ikea can indeed do this so cheaply, then why can there not be a social entrepreneur to do the same with old furniture ? Still meeting the needs of the locals? As well as global needs too? The reason why Ikea can sell their products so well and so quickly is because they hit every requirements that is asked. (Cheap, modern, functional, packable.) There is nothing to stop anyone else from venturing into this area either. Nothing at all.

The items in antique stores are expensive because they kept to a certain market, but a lot of old furnitures that do not hit the antique lists can indeed be restored in many ways to be resold, or to redesigned into something else. My whole point in this thread is that, there is a market for Arts and Craft sustainability in Sheffield. However, it seems that people do not support that idea, or want it. Cos they have never had or owned these supposed "great" Swedish designed furnitures. They do not think creatively or collectively to begin with. With such disparity, no wonder Sheffield never gets anywhere, but it is so insular looking.

You seem to be either trying to drum up commissons for a mate who may or may not be good at making furniture, or be a troll... If it's the first, you are getting peoples backs up, if you are just trolling, then good luck! I'm out!

No. I am not a furniture maker. I do not work in the creative industry. You are projecting your fear onto me. lol. Honest to God, I have no agenda, except to connect the dots, and understand where the SCC is moving this city towards. You seems to fail to see that from a city's viewpoint.

I am not a conwoman, and my heart is not that dark. :roll: Thank you so very much for implying that though.

I am saying that, refurbishing furnitures can indeed replace the need of Ikea furnitures.

How? Refurbished furniture is an old style and design. What if something new comes out?

People will always want new furniture, not second hand or refurbished. Be it from B&Q, Argos or Ikea or anywhere else. Ikea isn't evil or the problem, its just catering to the demand.