Ten commandments re-written;

I don't know the 10 commandments (and assumed love thy neighbour was one).

It seems to me; you're saying the 'love thy neighbour' thing isn't applicable, because of it's ancient context; yet, context is not a consideration in arriving at the conculsion that the bible is condoning slavery in this day and age.

Yes it is, I have indeed considered it.

How have I got the context wrong? I'm being entirely consistent.

Surely, context is applicable throughout the bible; or not at all. You can't pick and choose where context is applicable, just because it suits your agenda.
I haven't done that though, please explain how you think I have.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the very next lines contain some commandments that I'll bet you have no problem with breaking

“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.

“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

When did god say you can pick and choose which ones can be ignored?

Assuming this is addressed to me..

Does your question assume that I have need of following commandments?

Well, it may well be the case that my actions are often in accordance with the commandments, probably yours are too; but that's not the same thing as following them, or feeling any need to adhere to them etc.

For example, if I commanded you to breathe; and you continued to do so, would you be following my command?

(maybe getting off-topic a bit).

Assuming this is addressed to me..

Does your question assume that I have need of following commandments?

Well, it may well be the case that I my actions are often in accordance with the commandments, probably you're as too; but that's not the same thing as following them, or feeling any need to adhere to them etc.

Sorry, I was under the mistaken impression that you were defending the rules set down in the bible because you believed they should be followed.

For example, if I commanded you to breathe; and you continued to do so, would you be following my command?

No, I don't think so.

No, it doesn't. The modern meaning of the word adultery in some religious circles is not the same as that used by the Hebrews when they wrote the bible.

In fact the ancient Hebrews practised rape, probably including Moses.

Numbers 31:17 has Moses saying to the Israelites this:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

When the ancient Hebrews talked about adultery, they meant a man sleeping with another Hebrew's wife. Nothing more. Men were allowed to keep young virgins whose families they had murdered for themselves.

The fact that the more sexually repressed religious people in the world have tried to change the word adultery to mean 'any sexual act outside of marriage, including thoughts' doesn't change the past.

In any case, my questions do not need retyping, they are very very simple, a 12 year old could easily understand and answer them.

Do you think that rape and slavery should be prohibited?

If the answer to that is 'yes' then my second question is why do you think the 10 commandments does not prohibit rape and slavery?

Adultery does cover rape :

The guidestones were erected most likly by a powerful group of atheists !

This group does not also condone a lot of things !

No, it doesn't. The modern meaning of the word adultery in some religious circles is not the same as that used by the Hebrews when they wrote the bible.

In fact the ancient Hebrews practised rape, probably including Moses.

Numbers 31:17 has Moses saying to the Israelites this:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

When the ancient Hebrews talked about adultery, they meant a man sleeping with another Hebrew's wife. Nothing more. Men were allowed to keep young virgins whose families they had murdered for themselves.

The fact that the more sexually repressed religious people in the world have tried to change the word adultery to mean 'any sexual act outside of marriage, including thoughts' doesn't change the past.

In any case, my questions do not need retyping, they are very very simple, a 12 year old could easily understand and answer them.

Do you think that rape and slavery should be prohibited?

If the answer to that is 'yes' then my second question is why do you think the 10 commandments does not prohibit rape and slavery?

Why on earth whould you claim Judaism allows rape !

Your evasions are getting boring, are you such a coward that you cannot answer my questions Truthlogic?

I've even got a third question for you now! Another one that you will no doubt be too much of a coward to answer.

What evidence have you got that the commandment against adultery also prohibits rape?

Adultery does cover rape :

The guidestones were erected most likly by a powerful group of atheists !

This group does not also condone a lot of things !

Why is anyone bothering (apart from for sheer entertainment value). The fact that anyone would say adultery covers rape; don't be ludicrous, the two are mutually exclusive.

I'm fairly certain GrossLogic is a teen man-child with very little to do other than to post across the Internet. We really shouldn't feed the trolls!

How have I got the context wrong?

You've probably not got the context wrong; and I wasn't trying to say that the Hebrew thing about neighbours you mentioned, was incorrect.

I don't know though, I'm by no means any kind of expert here.

I haven't done that though, please explain how you think I have.

I'll try my best!

It seemed (to me), that you were applying context to the love thy neighbour thing; then overlooking the fact that the meaning (of 'love thy neighbour') is related to a specific time and place, when arriving at the conclusion that the bible is condoning slavery (in this day and age).