Ten commandments re-written;

Retype your question and put a little more thought into it ,

They shall not commit adultry covers rape ! Don't you think !!!

No it doesn't. They are two completely different things. And what about slavery? He asked aboiut that too. You seem to slipper and dodge around a lot, for someone who takes such an unwaveringly self righteous and accusatory tone towards everyone else!

Retype your question and put a little more thought into it ,

No, it doesn't. The modern meaning of the word adultery in some religious circles is not the same as that used by the Hebrews when they wrote the bible.

In fact the ancient Hebrews practised rape, probably including Moses.

Numbers 31:17 has Moses saying to the Israelites this:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

When the ancient Hebrews talked about adultery, they meant a man sleeping with another Hebrew's wife. Nothing more. Men were allowed to keep young virgins whose families they had murdered for themselves.

The fact that the more sexually repressed religious people in the world have tried to change the word adultery to mean 'any sexual act outside of marriage, including thoughts' doesn't change the past.

In any case, my questions do not need retyping, they are very very simple, a 12 year old could easily understand and answer them.

Do you think that rape and slavery should be prohibited?

If the answer to that is 'yes' then my second question is why do you think the 10 commandments does not prohibit rape and slavery?

Not really. If it did, then rape within marriage would have been illegal for centuries. Odd that it took until the end of the last century to be made so, don't you think?

No, it doesn't. The modern meaning of the word adultery in some religious circles is not the same as that used by the Hebrews when they wrote the bible.

In fact the ancient Hebrews practised rape, probably including Moses.

Numbers 31:17 has Moses saying to the Israelites this:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

When the ancient Hebrews talked about adultery, they meant a man sleeping with another Hebrew's wife. Nothing more. Men were allowed to keep young virgins whose families they had murdered for themselves.

The fact that the more sexually repressed religious people in the world have tried to change the word adultery to mean 'any sexual act outside of marriage, including thoughts' doesn't change the past.

In any case, my questions do not need retyping, they are very very simple, a 12 year old could easily understand and answer them.

Do you think that rape and slavery should be prohibited?

If the answer to that is 'yes' then my second question is why do you think the 10 commandments does not prohibit rape and slavery?

Adultery does cover rape :

The guidestones were erected most likly by a powerful group of atheists !

This group does not also condone a lot of things !

Not really. If it did, then rape within marriage would have been illegal for centuries. Odd that it took until the end of the last century to be made so, don't you think?

That's an excellent point. Even if you do bizarrely apply a modern meaning that's only held to by a small minority to a 3000 year old text and decide that adultery does include any sex at all between people who aren't married. It certainly does not prohibit rape with marriage.

Isn't it prohibited implicitly, by some of the other commandments?

For example love thy neighbour?

If you're raping someone, or enslaving them against their will; then you're not really loving them, in the spirit of love thy neighbour, are you?

If you're raping someone, or enslaving them against their will; then you're not really loving them, in the spirit of love thy neighbour, are you?

Love thy neighbour is not one of the Ten Commandments.

Well, no, not really. When you consider that to the ancient Hebrews, the word neighbour meant 'fellow Israelite'.

"17 “‘Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

So not only does the bible condone slavery, it also condones racism.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the very next lines contain some commandments that I'll bet you have no problem with breaking

“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.

“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

When did god say you can pick and choose which ones can be ignored?

Edited by flamingjimmy

Well, no, not really. When you consider that to the ancient Hebrews, the word neighbour meant 'fellow Israelite'.

"17 “‘Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

So not only does the bible condone slavery, it also condones racism.

I don't know the 10 commandments (and assumed love thy neighbour was one).

It seems to me; you're saying the 'love thy neighbour' thing isn't applicable, because of it's ancient context; yet, context is not a consideration in arriving at the conculsion that the bible is condoning slavery in this day and age.

Surely, context is applicable throughout the bible; or not at all. You can't pick and choose where context is applicable, just because it suits your agenda.