Dogs Off Leads In Parks - The Legal Position

I do not see that the very few arguments in favour of keeping dogs (and most are not kept well) can justify, crap and urine stains everywhere, people being attacked - even killed, single or packs of dogs roaming the streets unsupervised, dogs anywhere other than private land not on a lead. Dog owners have to prove no level of competence to keep an animal, no license, no regualr health checks for their often often uncared for and abused animals (obesity in dogs is also abuse). Dogs often stink, dribble and drool evrey and anywhere (remember they ldon't just lick their own genitals and anuses) yet people insist on taking them into public spaces and on public transport.

I can think of more parents your rant applies to than dog owners! hit your keyboard harder mate, its not making any sense.

You have 1 word for me, and then post a whole lot more of them.

16 people killed by dogs, 3000 killed on the roads, if it's the danger that's the issue then we should probably ban roads.

And your response to the fact that they are good for peoples physical and mental health, "sure they are", well, that told me didn't it.

You still sound hysterical, I can accept that you don't like dogs, but what makes you think that your opinion should be imposed on everyone else?

You have 1 word for me, and then post a whole lot more of them.

Merely an oversight.. my apologies.

16 people killed by dogs, 3000 killed on the roads, if it's the danger that's the issue then we should probably ban roads.

And your response to the fact that they are good for peoples physical and mental health, "sure they are", well, that told me didn't it.

Use of roads is with us for a while longer yet and you can safely say an unattended vehicle generally won't attack one of your children right in front of you

You still sound hysterical, I can accept that you don't like dogs, but what makes you think that your opinion should be imposed on everyone else?

I am not imposing my opinion on anyone. You dont have to read my opinion and like most other people here I am only expressing mine.

As for hysterical.. me .. not at all. I am quite indifferent as the outcome of this debate. Though I strongly suspect the status quo will endure..for now.

I believe I have justified the thoughts I have expressed. I see no reason why I should withdraw them, they are quite accurate, if the official sources are to be believed. There has been no exaggeration on my part. Though I accept that packs of roaming dogs are less prevelent these days, one still sees stray dogs.

No one has expressed any argument that shakes my belief in the thoughts I expressed. I accept some dog lovers would disagree with me, but then again they are not impartial. Whereas I believe I am. I really don't care what the country decides to do, if anything, about the dog situation at present. I have no young children and few elderly relatives to be at risk and I am quite capable of defending myself, not that anyone should ever have to, from a dog attack albeit very much to the detriment of the dog. I just do feel that the argument against their continued use as pets and the dangers of doing so were not being represented. I am not concerned about what other people will think of me for holding or expressing my opinion so I feel free to make those opinions known.

I'm sure there are far more eloquent and better informed people that could present the same views as myself in a far superior fashion. Perhaps if more of them had the time, and felt that they were at liberty to do so then more of them would do so.

Edited by Tommo68

I am not imposing my opinion on anyone. You dont have to read my opinion and like most other people here I am only expressing mine.

As for hysterical.. me .. not at all. I am quite indifferent as the outcome of this debate. Though I strongly suspect the status quo will endure..for now.

I believe I have justified the thoughts I have expressed. I see no reason why I should withdraw them, they are quite accurate, if the official sources are to be believed. There has been no exaggeration on my part. Though I accept that packs of roaming dogs are less prevelent these days, one still sees stray dogs.

No one has expressed any argument that shakes my belief in the thoughts I expressed. I accept some dog lovers would disagree with me, but then again they are not impartial. Whereas I believe I am. I really don't care what the country decides to do, if anything, about the dog situation at present. I have no young children and few elderly relatives to be at risk and I am quite capable of defending myself, not that anyone should ever have to, from a dog attack albeit very much to the detriment of the dog. I just do feel that the argument against their continued use as pets and the dangers of doing so were not being represented. I am not concerned about what other people will think of me for holding or expressing my opinion so I feel free to make those opinions known.

I'm sure there are far more eloquent and better informed people that could present the same views as myself in a far superior fashion. Perhaps if more of them had the time, and felt that they were at liberty to do so then more of them would do so.

Ah, that's a little calmer. Has the Medication kicked in?

Each to their own but in almost every public space dog owners think its ok for their animal to crap anywhere. Even of those few that pick up the bulk of it most don't clean up thoroughly enough.

I'm not talking about the few working breeds or the even fewer ones of those that do work but I can see lots of arguments against members of the public keeping dogs.

I do not see that the very few arguments in favour of keeping dogs (and most are not kept well) can justify, crap and urine stains everywhere, people being attacked - even killed, single or packs of dogs roaming the streets unsupervised, dogs anywhere other than private land not on a lead. Dog owners have to prove no level of competence to keep an animal, no license, no regualr health checks for their often often uncared for and abused animals (obesity in dogs is also abuse). Dogs often stink, dribble and drool evrey and anywhere (remember they ldon't just lick their own genitals and anuses) yet people insist on taking them into public spaces and on public transport.

The argument for keeping dogs as pets is largely emotive. The arguement against is I'd argue equally emotive and far mor logical. I would like to see the compulsory sterilisation of all but working dogs and lets just fade non-working dogs out of our society altogther. We don't need them.

People sadly don't have to prove they're competent enough to have children either.

Said children often go on to roam the streets in gangs, unsupervised. Property gets damaged, people get injured or even killed.

They're also full of diseases and people insist on bringing them onto public transport, spreading their gross snot and sticky fingers all over.

I'm all for a parent competency test, and all failures will be sterilised. Lets fade useless people out of society for good.

Please don't post all in bold type in future. It appears to others as though you are shouting and it breaks forum rules.

Please don't post all in bold type in future. It appears to others as though you are shouting and it breaks forum rules.

Just an accident sorry.

Each to their own but in almost every public space dog owners think its ok for their animal to crap anywhere. Even of those few that pick up the bulk of it most don't clean up thoroughly enough.

I'm not talking about the few working breeds or the even fewer ones of those that do work but I can see lots of arguments against members of the public keeping dogs.

The argument for keeping dogs as pets is largely emotive. The arguement against is I'd argue equally emotive and far mor logical. I would like to see the compulsory sterilisation of all but working dogs and lets just fade non-working dogs out of our society altogther. We don't need them.

I think you are thinking of Barnsley centre on a Friday and Saturday night!

People sadly don't have to prove they're competent enough to have children either.

Said children often go on to roam the streets in gangs, unsupervised. Property gets damaged, people get injured or even killed.

They're also full of diseases and people insist on bringing them onto public transport, spreading their gross snot and sticky fingers all over.

I'm all for a parent competency test, and all failures will be sterilised. Lets fade useless people out of society for good.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 14:21 ----------

I can think of more parents your expression of views applies to than dog owners!

I agree

hit your keyboard harder mate, its not making any sense.

What is it you need help with? You do realise I hope that hitting ones keyboard harder will not not help people understand things , especially if they don't want to.

The whole section about roaming dogs and packs of dogs is the bit I think is a massive exaggeration.

I haven't seen a stray dog in months, and it's not like I spend my time hiding in my house. And I don't believe I've ever seen a pack of dogs in the UK.

The number of people killed by dogs quite clearly makes the point that they are by and large not a great risk to health, hundreds of times more people are killed on the road and by tens of times more by other people. Death by dog is only marginally more likely than being killed by lightning.

I get that you don't like dogs, you're entitled to that opinion. But I think you suggested that they should be banned and gradually removed from society, that would be pushing your opinion on others, and that you are not entitled to do.

And the final thing is that you refuse to accept the health benefits they provide, let me google it for you and prove the point.

The first link google returns

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/health-benefits-of-pets

In fact, for nearly 25 years, research has shown that living with pets provides certain health benefits. Pets help lower blood pressure and lessen anxiety. They boost our immunity.

They also provide people with a reason to get regular exercise, they reduce the risk of developing allergies and asthma, they reduce the risk of depression, they boost the immune system and so on.

They probably save far more lives a year than the 16 people who are killed by irresponsible owners mistraining and mistreating their dogs.

Whether it was on a lead or not, if your dog crapped next to me while I was eating, then you hung around to debate the matter getting all worked up with a bag of warm poo swinging about, I'd ask if you minded pi$$ing off too. I'm trying to eat my dinner and you're clearly a nutter!

Whether it's legal or not to let a dog off leash, it's not nice to have any animal sidle up to you for a poo while you're eating. Should have apologised, took any comments that came your way and swiftly moved on if you can't or wont train your dog not to do that.

It's the people who say "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly, it's fine off the leash" that annoy meMy last dog was a boxer, very good tempered but large and sometimes giddy - just because I knew that didn't mean others knew she wasn't attacking rather than coming over to say hello and see if any strokes would be forthcoming. I remember her once in Endcliffe park, on a leash, sat at my feet, got up as a kid walked past (just stood up, not lunged or anything), kid got a fright and dropped her chips, dog ate them. This lead to accusations of my dog mauling his daughter. While that didnt happen, I still ended up apologising and buying more chips but at least did get the chance to explain, and let the girl play with the dog while the new chips were sourced. Much better than wanting to start fights wouldnt you say?

I'm not saying me or the dog were angels - she did once bark at a man outside the supermarket to make him drop his hot roast chicken, then started eating it. A trick often repeated when tempting food was near and I was not paying enough attention with various tempting foods. Very clever, yet embarrassing dog.

I'm not saying me or the dog were angels - she did once bark at a man outside the supermarket to make him drop his hot roast chicken, then started eating it. A trick often repeated when tempting food was near and I was not paying enough attention with various tempting foods. Very clever, yet embarrassing dog.

This has just nearly made me spit my tea over my keyboard in laughter! :hihi: