Dogs Off Leads In Parks - The Legal Position

She gives me 'that look', whines a bit and goes round in circles until she gets permission. Most of the time she's already gone to the loo before our walk though, so it's not necessary.

She also shakes on command when she gets out of water (so she's not next to your legs when you do it) and does loads of other things when I ask her to not when she wants to do it naturally.

Clever dogs learn all sorts of routines if you teach them, and my dog is really very clever. She knows everything from coming when I beckon her with my finger to picking up kittens to move them out of the way of humans when I'm fostering and putting the dirty covers of her bed in the washer too (but she struggles to put the clean ones on!).

I'm really impressed, you obviously have spent a lot of time and effort with your dog and they are a credit to you. I wish I could teach cassie that as she is a very clever dog but unfortunately she's also very strong willed. However, I do always pick up after her even if no one else is around because I know I don't like stepping in dog muck and/or my dog choosing to roll in it (which luckily isn't very often anymore, usually when I've been thinking I need to give her a shower soon).

Edited by growup

There is such a thing as a large, well behaved dog as well you know :roll:

In fact in my experience, it's the small ones that are the worst overall. Too many of them allowed to misbehave because their owners allow them to get away with it - saying 'he's only little, he's only playing' etc etc.

Next time a small ratty thing terrorises my (leashed at all times unless there's no one around) dog, I'll drop kick it in to next week!

Hear hear.... I am an avid dog lover but have found over the years that little ones seem to have a chip on their shoulder and often get away with nipping with those sharp little teeth.

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 10:04 ----------

She gives me 'that look', whines a bit and goes round in circles until she gets permission. Most of the time she's already gone to the loo before our walk though, so it's not necessary.

She also shakes on command when she gets out of water (so she's not next to your legs when you do it) and does loads of other things when I ask her to not when she wants to do it naturally.

Clever dogs learn all sorts of routines if you teach them, and my dog is really very clever. She knows everything from coming when I beckon her with my finger to picking up kittens to move them out of the way of humans when I'm fostering and putting the dirty covers of her bed in the washer too (but she struggles to put the clean ones on!).

This I can believe of medusa. She is ALL about her fur-family members. :hihi:

There is a novelty HBO show in the states called Mastermutt where owners show what their charges can do.One does crosswords and another has their own mobile phone-its a wow!

doesnt matter wether its a 'dangerouse breed' or not, as most dogs in that classified area are only givent the title due to bad owners. i own one of these so called 'dangererous breeds' and she goes everywhere with me off the lead,

how is a dog meant to get excercise if its on a lead? regardless of the breed dogs do not have to be kept on a lead unless stated in the entrance to the park, as some parks have different rules to others

all dogs should be kept on a lead because its not fair on the other dog owners who has them on leads, i had my dogs on lead an some bloke didnt have his on lead, i asked him if he could put it on the lead but he turned round and said, dont worry my dogs not aggressive. then his dog walked up to mine and my dogs went for it i had to keep pullin leads back before he got his dog. people arnt good dog owners if there guna let there dogs come near another without knowing what the other dog is like. and they cant care about there dog much. i got 2 staffys and he let is jack russel loose near them lol. wont be so lucky next time

I'm really impressed, you obviously have spent a lot of time and effort with your dog and they are a credit to you. I wish I could teach cassie that as she is a very clever dog but unfortunately she's also very strong willed. However, I do always pick up after her even if no one else is around because I know I don't like stepping in dog muck and/or my dog choosing to roll in it (which luckily isn't very often anymore, usually when I've been thinking I need to give her a shower soon).

Very strong willed and resembles a floor mop..(just Kidding)..I have seen you with her and you behave impeccable.:),

Good on you for giving him a gob full, he obviously doesnt like dogs. If there is no signs saying dogs must be kept on leads then there is no law saying they cant be let off, its a park for heavens sake, sounds like the bloke needs putting on a lead and with his runaway mouth could do with a muzzle too! If you cant let your dogs off in the park then when can you. If they are dangerous then they should be kept on a lead.