Dogs Off Leads In Parks - The Legal Position

I thought the idea of a muzzle was to prevent a dog biting someone?

If the dog is muzzled and can't bite, then the fear of being bitten goes away. My wife didn't know the dog wouldn't bite her, all she saw was a big unpredictable animal jumping up close to her face.....She shouldn't have to put up with that.

Regards

Doom

She'd have to have very quick eyes and a calm temperament to identify a muzzle whilst a large dog was jumping up at her.

So it's unlikely to actually reduce someones fear in that kind of circumstance.

And as she wasn't bitten, a muzzle wouldn't have had any practical effect in preventing her from being bitten. If you see what I mean.

An absolute plonker goes into Hillsborough park on a daily basis with a small tanned coloured Spaniel type dog that proceeds to chase the ducks and geese into the lake, there are often small children around when this idiot allows his off the lead out of control animal to chase the birds to where the children are standing near the lakeside.

I spoke to the council about this and was told that the owner was committing a public order offence and the police should be called to deal with this person.

In my experience most dog owners only pick up their dogs excrement and put it in a plastic bag if they think someone is watching them. And even then, they just hang the blue plastic bags from a tree branch. When its picked up and put in a plastic bag there are still traces of it left on the grass.

I'm not in the 'most' category then.

My dog goes to the loo on command so she normally goes before we leave my garden, then I pick up after her and put it in my bin. If she needs to go while we are out she asks and I tell her where to go to the loo (usually next to the poo bin) in a place where people aren't likely to sit and where I can pick up easily after her.

Not all dog owners are irresponsible or out to create fuss for others. My dog should not impact your life negatively in any way, whether that's by barking or running up to you when you're out in public. She may not always be on a lead (when she's retrieving for us) but she knows she's not allowed to run up to other people.

I'm not in the 'most' category then.

My dog goes to the loo on command so she normally goes before we leave my garden, then I pick up after her and put it in my bin. If she needs to go while we are out she asks and I tell her where to go to the loo (usually next to the poo bin) in a place where people aren't likely to sit and where I can pick up easily after her.

Not all dog owners are irresponsible or out to create fuss for others. My dog should not impact your life negatively in any way, whether that's by barking or running up to you when you're out in public. She may not always be on a lead (when she's retrieving for us) but she knows she's not allowed to run up to other people.

good to hear from the respectful pet owners:)

That made me chuckle...sorry medusa.

How does your dog ask?

Sorry I just find it amusing.

My dog just squats wherever.

It's a different squat to just having a pee....you can see the concentration on her face as she gives me a sideways glance to see if I'm watching.

I've got the poo bag out before she's finished.

How does your dog ask?

It's a different squat to just having a pee....you can see the concentration on her face as she gives me a sideways glance to see if I'm watching.

Some dogs can go on command if trained properly. They give you a look if they need to go. Mine go in the same place all the time. Never on paths or wherever else they know where they have to go to the toilet. It helps if they are took out a lot though and are not crossing their legs waiting for a walk.

How does your dog ask?

She gives me 'that look', whines a bit and goes round in circles until she gets permission. Most of the time she's already gone to the loo before our walk though, so it's not necessary.

She also shakes on command when she gets out of water (so she's not next to your legs when you do it) and does loads of other things when I ask her to not when she wants to do it naturally.

Clever dogs learn all sorts of routines if you teach them, and my dog is really very clever. She knows everything from coming when I beckon her with my finger to picking up kittens to move them out of the way of humans when I'm fostering and putting the dirty covers of her bed in the washer too (but she struggles to put the clean ones on!).