Digital Cameras

Originally posted by Carlwarker

M - from my browsing the last few days, there are several relatively 'inexpensive’ Canon digicams – the Powershot A70 seems to be the most recommended (£214 at Pixmania). I’ve found that these two sites are the best for in-depth reviews.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html

It’s the printer that really adds to the cost,

Cheers.

Thanks for that. It's the printer that's the problem. My father was taken with my camera when I went to visit him and insists he's going to get one despite not having a pc.

The problem with choosing a phot printer is that inkjet printers in particular produce prints that are very sensitive to moisture, and fade in indirect sunlight in a matter of months.

There is a company in sheffield called Peak Processing that has an excellent service. Download their application from their website and use it to upload your digicam prints. Then select the size and format of your prints, and enter your cc number. 4 days later you will receive your digicam images printed onto Fuji Professional Crystal Archive Paper - the jump in quality, even from the best inkjet is startling.

The more prints you order, the bigger discount you get, and that's calculated on how many prints you order in total, not just multiple prints of the same original.

http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/reprint.htm#peakonline

I have opted for just using my inkjet to create proofs and contact sheets

Originally posted by max

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive digital camera with an associated printer which can be used without a PC. I've seen them advertised by Canon but they look quite pricey. Anyone any ideas?

"...fairly inexpensive..." is going to be a problem but Canon are doing bundled deals for the christmas market: Powershot A300 + CP-200 printer £299inc VAT - and maybe the discount retailers can improve on that ...

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by max

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive digital camera with an associated printer which can be used without a PC. I've seen them advertised by Canon but they look quite pricey. Anyone any ideas?

I hear there is a new printer out that takes memory cards, just slot in you card from your camera and print away.

Epson R300

http://www.boondocksnet.com/cb/apfh-item_id-B0000E2Y7G-search_type-AsinSearch-locale-us.html

Originally posted by mikey

I hear there is a new printer out that takes memory cards, just slot in you card from your camera and print away.

There's been an HP printer out for a while that's done this too. Checking their website, it appears they now have a range available that does this.

Originally posted by jayjay03

Are there any good, fair priced digital camera outlets in Sheffield barring the chain electrical retailers?

Also can some one suggest me a good 4.0M/pixel camera for less than £300 quid?

All I get in Dixons is some sales person who blatantly knows nothing about them tyring to sell me the one that his boss has siad he has clear before the end of the day!!!

Go and see Simon at Maplins, he is an expert on digital cameras and he will give you a good deal, tell him Evans-Wilkinson sent you.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by alchresearch

The quality of Sony gear has dropped considerably in the past couple of years.

This is certainly true for some of their products, I think due to them working the Sony label but collaborating with other companies on some of their products.

They cannot be the best at everything to a commercial market.

I got a Sony Cybershot P52 for Christmas. 3.2 mps and 15 seconds of mpeg video ( I got my pressie early) It cost the equivalent of 146 pounds. Is that how much they are going for in the UK? So far I love it. I'm buying a CD burner also so I can mail my photos home :thumbsup:

Archived