Digital Cameras

Originally posted by RPG

Theres only a Few digicams worth even second glancing at currently, those being the Sony P10 and the new Olympus x10 zoom one

Not according to the reviews that I've been reading the last two days. But, I guess, it's similar to buying a car, etc - each to his/her own.:)

Your first priority must be to decide what functions you really need (zoom, movies, aperture/speed control...), pixel count isn't the most important factor. A pro photographer would probably even turn their noses up at a £1500 SLR style digital so you must make compromises to spend under £300. I'm still using a 6 year old 350Kpixel Olympus - for routine family and holiday happy-snaps it's fine (SAMPLE: http://www.privateweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PIC00020.htm ) not perfect but adequate for the purpose.

I'm looking to upgrade, I'm tempted by Olympus C750uz because I think more control including zoom (10x, optical) would be a plus, image quality and price look good.

On the other hand it would be nice to have something small enough to take everywhere and get decent happy-snap quality. The current (just out) issues of PC Pro and Personal Computer World do comparative reviews of mid-range digital (above your target price), but it may be productive to look at the criteria they are using to see what is relevant to you, they show examples to demonstrate that pixel count isn't the only criterion, you can get better images on a camera with better lense but fewer pixels. (PCW downgrade the C750 - the real life tests of resolution etc are fine but they've reviewed it at a price of £450, PC Pro priced it at £370 and flagged it "best value", their "winner" cost £563).

Sub £300: Canon A70 seems very popular 3.2 MPixel 3x optical zoom. Olympus C350 is cheaper (£160 at Dabs.co.uk) but otherwise very similar spec.

Originally posted by RPG

its the C750uz (as Robh said :))

Thanks. Regarding the Sony, a majority of the reviews that I've read (both professional and owners) say that its one major fault is that greens are too bright and artificial. Being as most of my pix are shot in Derbyshire or outdoors - I think I'll give it a miss and keep with the Pentax Optio S4 (its less than a credit card in frontal dimensions - and weighs less than a quarter pound - it also uses SD cards, which are less expensive than Sony-Sticks, especially the pro. Regarding the Olympus - way out of the £300 budget range.

Cheers and thanks.

Originally posted by max

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive digital camera with an associated printer which can be used without a PC. I've seen them advertised by Canon but they look quite pricey. Anyone any ideas?

M - from my browsing the last few days, there are several relatively 'inexpensive’ Canon digicams – the Powershot A70 seems to be the most recommended (£214 at Pixmania). I’ve found that these two sites are the best for in-depth reviews.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html

It’s the printer that really adds to the cost,

Cheers.

Archived