Possible (minor) gas leak, advice please.

Its good that you have come on here to let folks know that there is a leak and you are being a total pillock about it. Now that it is on record if a serious misshap occurs you will most certainly be going to prison.

As is so often the case on Forums, you`re not reading what I`m writing.

So re read it and we`ll forget about it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gas leaks sound serious, but it`s all about how much gas is coming out.

Gas (natural gas anyway) has an artificially introduced smell, the most pungent they could find, to assist in leak detection.

You`d smell gas even if there was an incredibly small amount, far too small to do you any damage, and certainly far too small to be in any danger of ignition.

As my mate found out, he could smell gas but there was so little of it escaping that even a gas fitter couldn`t actually find the source.

I`m confident that there`s so little gas escaping that it wouldn`t be any danger at all, but having said all that it`s been going on for so long, and we might at some point want to sell the house, that I`m prepared to do something about it. However, I don`t want to shell out £50 to £100 only to be told by the fitter that he can`t actually find/cure the leak anyway !

You need to get on the phone to The gas emergency services right away 0800 111999.

If you can smell it, it isnt safe. Gas becomes explosive when there is the right quantity mixed with air. If you can smell it then it is building up sufficiently to be a danger. If there is an explosion and someone is hurt or worse, then you would be the person held responsible.

Im sure you would rather pay for the necessary repairs than spend time in prison for manslaughter.

Stop being irresponsible and do the right thing.

As previous posters have said you need to phone the national gas emergency service straight away on 0800111999. Natural gas becomes explosive from as low s 5% concentration in air so even a small leak can be fatal. You should also turn off the gas supply until they arrive( they should be there within 2 hours of you reporting a smell of gas). If the leak is on the meter or the pipework upstream of the meter then they will repair it free of charge. If the leak is on your pipework or appliances they will cap the gas meter until it is repaired by a gas safe registered engineer. If this is the case I'd be happy to trace and repair the leak for you. Thanks

Dan

You need to get on the phone to The gas emergency services right away 0800 111999.

If you can smell it, it isnt safe. Gas becomes explosive when there is the right quantity mixed with air. If you can smell it then it is building up sufficiently to be a danger. If there is an explosion and someone is hurt or worse, then you would be the person held responsible.

Im sure you would rather pay for the necessary repairs than spend time in prison for manslaughter.

Stop being irresponsible and do the right thing.

I am actually in the process of trying to sort out this minor gas leak, but, if gas is so dangerous "if you can smell it", how come when my mate went to the trouble of getting a gas fitter out for his minor leak, they couldn`t even find it 'because there was so little gas escaping' ?

Our leak is so minor that we can`t even smell it most of the time, even when we`ve been away for a week or more. In fact it`s only the odd visitor who remarks on it.

I am actually in the process of trying to sort out this minor gas leak, but, if gas is so dangerous "if you can smell it", how come when my mate went to the trouble of getting a gas fitter out for his minor leak, they couldn`t even find it 'because there was so little gas escaping' ?

Our leak is so minor that we can`t even smell it most of the time, even when we`ve been away for a week or more. In fact it`s only the odd visitor who remarks on it.

No gas leak is minor my feiend, just turning light switch on could cause explosion - are you willing to take that chance. GET TRANSCO OUT NOW THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR GAS LEAKS FREEFONE 0800 111 999 And for crying out loud don't smoke in house

Get a friend in who you know can smell gas better than yourself to sniff around the boiler/appliances/pipe connections. I'm rather sensitive to natural gas and can sometimes smell it in kitchens that I've visited; a common reason is that the spindle seals on the hob/cooker can wear, allowing a very tiny leak of gas. A fitter should be able to tell you the rate of the leak.

No gas leak is minor my friend, just turning light switch on could cause explosion - are you willing to take that chance?. GET TRANSCO OUT NOW THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR GAS LEAKS FREEFONE 0800 111 999 And for crying out loud don't smoke in house

Get a friend in who you know can smell gas better than yourself to sniff around the boiler/appliances/pipe connections. I'm rather sensitive to natural gas and can sometimes smell it in kitchens that I've visited; a common reason is that the spindle seals on the hob/cooker can wear, allowing a very tiny leak of gas. A fitter should be able to tell you the rate of the leak.

Why are you telling them to wait when you don't know whats causing leak. What if it's not what you thought and there is explosion - where gas leaks are concerned there is only one course of action RING TRANSCO ON 0800 111 999 - This is what we have by law to tell all our customers

Any gas engineer that attends then leaves a leak needs to hang his head in shame. The regs are very clear...on an existing installation with an 'older' meter we are allowed to accept a fall (leak) of 4mb during a gas test PROVIDING there is no REPORTED smell of gas. As there HAS been a reported smell of gas then the tolerance is ZERO. You say 'sometimes' you can smell it and sometimes not, this is because as you are sat immersed in it it becomes much less apparent (you get used to it and therefore do not notice it), as you move from room to room the doors waft and disperse it and as you leave (go outside) some will escape. It SHOULD USUALLY be most apparent when you have been out in the fresh air for quite a while, on re-entering the smell should be most noticeable.

Leaks on appliances and exposed pipework are easy for any installer to locate, obviously on hidden (below floorboards/behind walls etc) pipework it can be much more difficult but never impossible. If an installer attends and can not readily find the leak then he is DUTY BOUND to cap your supply unfortunately.....it is a legal requirement.

For heavens sake take this situation seriously because it most certainly IS serious and follow the advice above and get Transco out