Possible (minor) gas leak, advice please.

Get a friend in who you know can smell gas better than yourself to sniff around the boiler/appliances/pipe connections. I'm rather sensitive to natural gas and can sometimes smell it in kitchens that I've visited; a common reason is that the spindle seals on the hob/cooker can wear, allowing a very tiny leak of gas. A fitter should be able to tell you the rate of the leak.

No gas leak is minor my friend, just turning light switch on could cause explosion - are you willing to take that chance?. GET TRANSCO OUT NOW THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR GAS LEAKS FREEFONE 0800 111 999 And for crying out loud don't smoke in house

Get a friend in who you know can smell gas better than yourself to sniff around the boiler/appliances/pipe connections. I'm rather sensitive to natural gas and can sometimes smell it in kitchens that I've visited; a common reason is that the spindle seals on the hob/cooker can wear, allowing a very tiny leak of gas. A fitter should be able to tell you the rate of the leak.

Why are you telling them to wait when you don't know whats causing leak. What if it's not what you thought and there is explosion - where gas leaks are concerned there is only one course of action RING TRANSCO ON 0800 111 999 - This is what we have by law to tell all our customers

Any gas engineer that attends then leaves a leak needs to hang his head in shame. The regs are very clear...on an existing installation with an 'older' meter we are allowed to accept a fall (leak) of 4mb during a gas test PROVIDING there is no REPORTED smell of gas. As there HAS been a reported smell of gas then the tolerance is ZERO. You say 'sometimes' you can smell it and sometimes not, this is because as you are sat immersed in it it becomes much less apparent (you get used to it and therefore do not notice it), as you move from room to room the doors waft and disperse it and as you leave (go outside) some will escape. It SHOULD USUALLY be most apparent when you have been out in the fresh air for quite a while, on re-entering the smell should be most noticeable.

Leaks on appliances and exposed pipework are easy for any installer to locate, obviously on hidden (below floorboards/behind walls etc) pipework it can be much more difficult but never impossible. If an installer attends and can not readily find the leak then he is DUTY BOUND to cap your supply unfortunately.....it is a legal requirement.

For heavens sake take this situation seriously because it most certainly IS serious and follow the advice above and get Transco out

As others have said - get it reported now!!!!!!!

Several years ago, i went round to my neighbours and smelt gas in her kitchen - neither she nor her husband had smelt it but she called out the gas board, and they indeed found a leak. I dread to think what would have happened if i hadn't gone round for a chat - we would probably be six foot under!

Why are you telling them to wait when you don't know whats causing leak. What if it's not what you thought and there is explosion - where gas leaks are concerned there is only one course of action RING TRANSCO ON 0800 111 999 - This is what we have by law to tell all our customers

I'm not telling him to wait (the OP seems reluctant to call out the appropriate people for the reasons he has given), I'm urging him to take some action. It's surprising how many households have these leaks for years without realising.

If it was water dribbling out of a pipe you wouldn't hesitate to call a plumber. A gas leak is far more serious, get on the phone now.

I would -what harm is it doing.Gas will sink to a low point and rarely explodes-how many explosions occur as a proportion of the population?Many still have lead pipes whch are fractured or have been sweated onto copper.If the leakis your side it will raise your gas bill and a good gas fitter should be able to trace the leak by systematic elimination.Not all good fitters act with integrity as money may govern their decisions.

I would -what harm is it doing.Gas will sink to a low point and rarely explodes-how many explosions occur as a proportion of the population?Many still have lead pipes whch are fractured or have been sweated onto copper.If the leakis your side it will raise your gas bill and a good gas fitter should be able to trace the leak by systematic elimination.Not all good fitters act with integrity as money may govern their decisions.

What a load of rubbish, leaking gas is very serious and slightest spark can cause explosion. You are being stupid and irresponsible in giving above advice. One explosion, my friend, is one too many and preventable by calling Transco on Freephone 0800 111 999 and they don't charge for gas leaks - what price someones life anyway?

Edited by denlin

What a load of rubbish, leaking gas is very serious and slightest spark can cause expolsion. You are being stupid and irresponsible in giving above advice. One explosion, my friend, is one too many and preventable by calling Transco on Freephone 0800 111 999 and they don't charge for gas leaks - what price someones life anyway?

Transco will not check for leaks inside a property-they will however insist that you vacate the premises while checking the outside.A spark can cause an explosion-butit is highly unlikely and more fires etc result from smoking,chip pans,inebriation and electrical faults.If you were to survey Uk prpoperties today at least very few are tight-the law permits a certain loss of pressure as your knowledge of gas regs wil confirm.

No gas leak is minor my friend, just turning light switch on could cause explosion - are you willing to take that chance?. GET TRANSCO OUT NOW THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR GAS LEAKS FREEFONE 0800 111 999 And for crying out loud don't smoke in house

And dont turn on any lights.And do not sharpen scisors using a grindstone.Avoid friction between boys scouts and avoid nylon sheets.