Possible (minor) gas leak, advice please.

Does anyone know who I could call to trace and cure a minor gas leak ?

The thing is it`s very minor, in fact most of the time we can`t even smell it. Visitors can smell it more often than us, but even they can`t always.

The thing that puts me off is a friand of mine had a similar problem and called a gas fitter out who couldn`t find the leak, but still charged him. Don`t get me wrong, I don`t think anyone should come out for free, but at the same time I don`t think they should charge full price if they can`t actually find/repair it !

I`ve been told you can get Transco out (or whoever British Gas are called these days) and if the leak is on the supply side they`ll fix it for free. But if it`s on the household side of the meter they may shut off the gas altogether till it`s fixed, which is a bit much to take when it`s such a minor leak !

Don`t know what to do......

Does anyone know a decent gas fitter who isn`t going to charge me full whack for telling me he can`t actually do anything !

Edited by Justin Smith

Gas leaks sound serious, but it`s all about how much gas is coming out.

Gas (natural gas anyway) has an artificially introduced smell, the most pungent they could find, to assist in leak detection.

You`d smell gas even if there was an incredibly small amount, far too small to do you any damage, and certainly far too small to be in any danger of ignition.

As my mate found out, he could smell gas but there was so little of it escaping that even a gas fitter couldn`t actually find the source.

I`m confident that there`s so little gas escaping that it wouldn`t be any danger at all, but having said all that it`s been going on for so long, and we might at some point want to sell the house, that I`m prepared to do something about it. However, I don`t want to shell out £50 to £100 only to be told by the fitter that he can`t actually find/cure the leak anyway !

Gas leaks sound serious, but it`s all about how much gas is coming out.

Gas (natural gas anyway) has an artificially introduced smell, the most pungent they could find, to assist in leak detection.

You`d smell gas even if there was an incredibly small amount, far too small to do you any damage, and certainly far too small to be in any danger of ignition.

As my mate found out, he could smell gas but there was so little of it escaping that even a gas fitter couldn`t actually find the source.

I`m confident that there`s so little gas escaping that it wouldn`t be any danger at all, but having said all that it`s been going on for so long, and we might at some point want to sell the house, that I`m prepared to do something about it. However, I don`t want to shell out £50 to £100 only to be told by the fitter that he can`t actually find/cure the leak anyway !

I wouldn't hesitate in calling a gas fitter.

Gas built up in properties is very dangerous.

We rewired a house which had gas mantels on the walls. They had been disconnected but the pipes under the floor were still live and leaky.

You couldn't smell it in the house but as soon as you lifted a floor board you could smell the gas straight away.

The gas had built up under the boards over a period of time and was a DEFINITE hazard.

Any source of ignition at that point could have blown the lot away.

£50 to £100 is cheaper than a funeral pal.

I wouldn't hesitate in calling a gas fitter.

Gas built up in properties is very dangerous.

We rewired a house which had gas mantels on the walls. They had been disconnected but the pipes under the floor were still live and leaky.

You couldn't smell it in the house but as soon as you lifted a floor board you could smell the gas straight away.

The gas had built up under the boards over a period of time and was a DEFINITE hazard.

Any source of ignition at that point could have blown the lot away.

£50 to £100 is cheaper than a funeral pal.

But I am prepared to pay to have it fixed, I`m just not happy to pay full whack to be told it can`t be !

As an example, we fit aerials. If someone called us out to fit an aerial but we couldn`t fit it for any reason we wouldn`t charge them the full price of an aerial install, we`d just charge them a site survey fee, £30/£35. I`d be reasonably happy to pay that if the fitter couldn`t find the leak, but not £50 to £100 !

Edited by Justin Smith

But I am prepared to pay to have it fixed, I`m just not happy to pay full whack to be told it can`t be !

No gas fitter worth his salt will turn up to a gas leak, charge £50 to £100 to shrug and say sorry mate, I can't find the leak therefore it can't be fixed.

If you want the number of a decent gas fitter pm me. I'll be happy to pass one on.

hmmm actually along the same lines, round at my mates house last night and their carbon monoxide detecter thing on the wall (the type that has a circle in the middle taht gets dark if there is danger) was dark, not black but a sort of brown colour, who should she contact about that - transco again?

hmmm actually along the same lines, round at my mates house last night and their carbon monoxide detecter thing on the wall (the type that has a circle in the middle taht gets dark if there is danger) was dark, not black but a sort of brown colour, who should she contact about that - transco again?

Possibly or a gas fitter. If Transco charge them it will be a damn site more than a gas fitter would charge.