What Sheffield landmark demolished by the council do you miss most

You and me are singing from the same song sheet, my grandad, born 1899, took me everywhere, bless him. Did you know of the monastery close to Cat Lane allotments?
Not sure, but how about Helen Shapiro singing her little heart out?:love:

You and me are singing from the same song sheet, my grandad, born 1899, took me everywhere, bless him. Did you know of the monastery close to Cat Lane allotments?

Just thought about the monastery you mentioned and I do vaguely remember mention of it. Was it in the area now occupied by the allotments?

Clear your inbox Crooksey mate

I saw your posts by accident. We are showing a film about the Dial House Club which shows a shot of its facade with the sun dial at the Showroom in Sheffield, on Sunday, 11 November 2012, at 3.30pm. The film is called A Workng Men's Club in Sheffield" and is mostly filmed inside the club. So I don't know whether that is enough to evoke some memories.

One of the places I miss is the Sheffield Empire I loved it as a kid a little later it would be the Adelphi Hotel situated where the Crucible stands now.It was always packed in the 60s the place to meet everyone before starting on your night out,another was the West St Hotel opposite the Red Lion now a block of offices.I have vivid memories of the West St Hotel one Christmas,I had lost my car keys and the landlady turned the place upside down looking for them to no avail,I had to smash the quarter light side window and hot wire my car to get home,I was not a happy chappie!.:help::confused:

tuckwoods restaurant ,it was heaven.

Not exactly a landmark but,'The Albert' public house,spent many happy hours in there before going to watch bands in the city hall.1971-1975.
The landlord of that time Jeff Morton lives just above me at Wickersley I was speaking to him yesterday.:D

Got to say Redgates, and the Hole in the Road and most of all Wards bitter

Apologies if this is off target but,I miss standing in delight and awe of the american cadillacs in the car showroom at the top of cambridge st/division st junction cira 1975/77,boy did I think they were buetiful!

Isn't the thread title a little misleading as the majority of buildings cited in this thread were privately owned and therefore their demolition was not the responsibility of the council?

Isn't the thread title a little misleading as the majority of buildings cited in this thread were privately owned and therefore their demolition was not the responsibility of the council?

The hole in the road,The egg box,The town hall extension,Sheaf Valley Baths,The new firestation,The Kelvin Flats, The tower blocks,Sheaf Market,and much much more all built and demolished by the council in the last fifty years at the cost of millions and now The Castle Market is on the list.

What a waste of money and materials.

Edited by neepsendlane