Help!! im 15, 16 next month and wondering about housing.

Unless things have changed, only a small proportion who apply for the armed forces are selected. Of course it may be different for the infantry regiments.

Yeah, there's different parts of the recruitment to go through I think... i applied for the Navy in the early 00s as a Writer (admin) and got through to the final stage where I was basically told to lose a bit of weight (oopsie!) to prepare for my physical (final) part of the application after the other stuff (tests, interview etc) but, such is life, I met my OH and started a family and in time, changed career course so never made it into the Navy.

Not everyone can just walk straight into the forces but I think it CAN be a worthwhile thing to do.

Of course, back to the OP, it's not the only option, obviously. It sounds as if s/he has had a tough time and wants space of their own and stuff.... as someone said, even if they got benefits, it would be hard but hopefully s/he could get a job at 16.

I hope someone can help the OP with some sound advice about it.

Edited by Miss_S_83

Get a job save up and either rent somewhere or do a roomshare.

Not a viable option in this day and age for a young person. It wasn't like this 20 or so years ago when I was 16.

These days.....

1) get a job? if you can find one, if you do find one the wages will be non exsistant.

2) Save up? after paying all their taxes, working people are lucky if they have any money left over they can use as a 'saving up pot'

3) Rent somewhere? at a min of £400 per week, thats lots of £5.93 per hour one would need to accumulate, simply to pay the rent (that does not include council tax, gas etc... etc....)

So the only viable option is to become pregnant and live off the taxpayer.

Very sad, its not always been this way. EEEE BYE GUM, when I was a lass, tha only needed 3 times thee anual wages ta offord ya sen thee own pad. back in dem olden days of 1997. Tha cud buy thee-sen a semi detached hoose for 60 grand.

Sadly those days are long in the past

Hey im 15, 16 next month and just wondering, can i try and get a flat as soon as i am 16? i live with my mum but have to sleep on the settee, after my dads wife kicked me out of thier house. I have got a social worker and have been with them for years.. i've been in care aswell, would social services get me my own place quicker because im sleeping on a settee and really want to move out?

No one under 18 can sign for a secure council tenancy.

However, you can sign for a temporary tenancy, which would be made secure once you reach 18, unless Mr Camron has his way.

You need to be assessed by the Homeless Section at Howden House.

However, they may deam your mothers house to have enough space for you, or you might have to live in those conditions for a minimum of 6 months.

I am sorry but why under 25? I believe you are an adult aged 18. I was pregnant with my 2nd child at 25, had lived away from home for 4 years and had plenty of jobs and was on maternity leave from uni.

Although you have worked, too many people don't work, get pregnant, and expect a house. This starts the whole benefits cycle and results in them not working and spending a life on benefits. If no one under 25 was allowed a house, then the young mothers expecting a house would be forced to live at home. This would also force them to resolve family issues and disputes. It would be tough and difficult yes, but that's the point. If you make a decision to have a family under 25, then you must think twice about whether you can afford it and subsequently you would have to rent privately should you want your own place.

Like with the OP, little arguements turn into a need for housing. Most normal families resolve disputes, but these toxic families just split up with each person demanding their own house / flat. There are two versions of homeless - one is bascially no where to live, the other is having somewhere to live but wanting something better without having to work to pay for it.

I'm sure people in Cornwall would welcome an over 25 rule, would stop the young single mothers claiming the flats at 18, might make them think twice about jumping into bed with people.

Although you have worked, too many people don't work, get pregnant, and expect a house. This starts the whole benefits cycle and results in them not working and spending a life on benefits. If no one under 25 was allowed a house, then the young mothers expecting a house would be forced to live at home. This would also force them to resolve family issues and disputes. It would be tough and difficult yes, but that's the point. If you make a decision to have a family under 25, then you must think twice about whether you can afford it and subsequently you would have to rent privately should you want your own place.

Like with the OP, little arguements turn into a need for housing. Most normal families resolve disputes, but these toxic families just split up with each person demanding their own house / flat. There are two versions of homeless - one is bascially no where to live, the other is having somewhere to live but wanting something better without having to work to pay for it.

I'm sure people in Cornwall would welcome an over 25 rule, would stop the young single mothers claiming the flats at 18, might make them think twice about jumping into bed with people.

Oh BARR HUMBUG TO YOU SIR!! the anual season of drunken sex is almost upon us, of which the resulting offspring will be born in September 2011.

BUT oh no, Mr Ebeneezer '<REMOVED>' Scrooge here, expects everyone to lead a celebate life

Edited by esme
unfamily friendly

Nobody under 25 should be given a council property, Ive seen kids under nineteen who have had flats given them only to wreck them and cause nothing but trouble for people who live along side them. You are your parents responsibility.

your point is? ive seen people in 30's/40's/50's ect. . wreck there property so does that mean nobody should have a house or flat? you should'nt stereotype people im 20 and my missus is 17 we have had our own place for nearly a year and its looked after very well and we treat it exactly as we would if we had bought it.