Sheffield Lib-Dem crosses the floor

One step inside the Town Hall and one look at the Forgemasters' issue and he realised his mistake. He came back to Labour.

Was Cllr Curran a previous Labour party member? If he came back to Labour was he with them before?

As far as I understood, he came from Canada where he was a member of The Liberal Democrats in Canada. Dont know about membership of Labour here.

Also I would like to challenge the notion that no one wants to be a councillor.There are currently 4 candidates applying to stand as a Liberal Democrat councillor in one of the local wards so no shortage there then. The same applies to Ecclesall where there are several interested parties.

It is a job that one wants to do if it is for the right reasons..to serve the community/public of Sheffield to the best of their ability.If anyone thinks of doing it for the money or the notoriety then they should look elsewhere.

The only councillors who posts on the Forum are Joe Taylor and John Robson. The only ones. No other councillors post on this Forum.

I wish, Bobstar, you'd try to understand that city councillors don't spend their time wondering what people on the Sheffield Forum think about issues. They spend their time dealing with their own constituents.

Sheffield Forum is not representative of the views of the people of Sheffield.

I'm sure people would like to think that what we have to say is important enough for busy elected members to pore over day after day, but I'm afraid that's far from the truth.

Like I said before, you do not KNOW that Councillors do not post or come onto this forum.

With regards Councillors being interested in the views of forum members. I personally think your wrong. Political activists and I am sure councillors themselves (if not direct then via activists) are generally aware of the threads/opinions etc and even more so for particular issues. (Certainly I was aware of this in relation to St Lukes)....Im not saying their pore over it every day. Councillors, in my opinion should use all available media to connect with people.

I do however, agreed that the views on SF are not representative. However, you can get interesting perspectives/opinions on things.

As far as I understood, he came from Canada where he was a member of The Liberal Democrats in Canada. Dont know about membership of Labour here.

Also I would like to challenge the notion that no one wants to be a councillor.There are currently 4 candidates applying to stand as a Liberal Democrat councillor in one of the local wards so no shortage there then. The same applies to Ecclesall where there are several interested parties.

It is a job that one wants to do if it is for the right reasons..to serve the community/public of Sheffield to the best of their ability.If anyone thinks of doing it for the money or the notoriety then they should look elsewhere.

We normally have several people interested in the so called Labour seats just as you do in your own seats. I'd be interested to know how many people overall apply to become councillors for your party. There are 28 wards, do you have 4 candidates for every ward?

We normally have several people interested in the so called Labour seats just as you do in your own seats. I'd be interested to know how many people overall apply to become councillors for your party. There are 28 wards, do you have 4 candidates for every ward?

As you will no doubt know it doesnt work like that.

When a councillors term is up they may or may not want to stand again, so that is a factor. When some older councillors decide to stand down as they are maybe way past their retirement age then it depends on who is interested in standing at that time.

Of course there are certain times in politics that you will get more interested parties than at other times so it is difficult to give you a straight answer on that.

Some councillors believe they only want to stand in the Ward that they live so again that depends on how many activists or members there are in that Ward at the time of selection.

Getting back to the topic, has anyone noticed that Ben Curran looks like the lost love-child of David and Ed Milliband? This is probably the real reason for the defection.

This cllr curran bloke is Guilty !

Guilty of being one of the uglies mofo's elected with the exception of ann widdecombe :hihi:

Other than that I reckon they were hoping that he would be suspended until they could get there heads round what they could do to keep the scales of power favouring them. It was that unexpected they had no counter measure for it and a lot is riding on paul scriven staying top dog (his obe or mbe or whatever he is after for one thing :D)

If the police investigate this and it turns out that it was made up to discredit him then what will that do for the lib dems in Sheffield ?

I would be glad to see the back of the lot of them, labour and lib dems, they are all out for themselves and power means far more than the job of representing the electorate. Bring in the Commies ! :hihi:

I hope he didn't take the files and sues them for Libel!

He can, if innocent has they went to the press, this investigation should have happend on the qt and not reached the press unless it came to something.

Then again, I've come to expect such things from Scriven. Is his teddy ever in his pram?

He can, if innocent has they went to the press, this investigation should have happend on the qt and not reached the press unless it came to something.

Then again, I've come to expect such things from Scriven. Is his teddy ever in his pram?

Only time will tell.

Guilty or innocent he seems to be the victim of an orchestrated witch hunt.

I am struggling to understand how the police can come up with a case that would get past the prosecutors office,unless Mr Curran throws his hands up in guilt or they dust off the rhino whips of the sixties,both highly unlikely.

The police now have the job of being seen as doing their duty whilst having to be aware of the fact that the public will be saying why didn't they just give them a crime number to claim the memory stick on insurance like they do with the rest of us.

I dare say that when this idea was conceived it was thought a cracker to blacken Cllr Currans name,but i have a feeling its not going to be him coming out of this with egg on his face at the conclusion of this affair.

You're absolutely right, MM & I and rossyrooney. Having been on the receiving end of a malicious accusation by the Lib Dems when I was in office, I know exactly what this is about. This is about trying to get Ben Curran discredited and get him suspended pending the investigation. This allows the Lib Dems plenty of time to mischief-make in Walkley, in the hope of winning the seat back quickly, to retain control of the Council.

They tried it on Cllr Weatherall & I in Gleadless Valley and fell flat on their faces, having cost the Council a great deal of money in investigation costs.. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson. But, as you say, teddies and prams.

You're absolutely right, MM & I and rossyrooney. Having been on the receiving end of a malicious accusation by the Lib Dems when I was in office, I know exactly what this is about. This is about trying to get Ben Curran discredited and get him suspended pending the investigation. This allows the Lib Dems plenty of time to mischief-make in Walkley, in the hope of winning the seat back quickly, to retain control of the Council.

They tried it on Cllr Weatherall & I in Gleadless Valley and fell flat on their faces, having cost the Council a great deal of money in investigation costs.. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson. But, as you say, teddies and prams.

Iwouldn't mind betting that at the conclusion of this investigation Cllr Curran is shown to be as morally upright and as scrupolous as Cll Scriven.