Sheffield Lib-Dem crosses the floor

Tony

Because even in the West Ecclesfields, Fulwoods and Stanningtons of this world, there are people who want to vote Labour and shouldn't be denied a chance to do so. In the same way that there are people in Manor Castle who have the right to cast their vote for the Tories if they so wish.

Then the party should only let people stand who actually want the position rather than someone simply "going through the motions". They may find they then get more votes.

I wonder if we could get back on topic now..

OK, but i disagree that "this has been done to death" as it will keep coming up from time to time:D.

It's not fair to castigate RosyRat and Max for their political activities, in fact they should be applauded for their contribution regardless of whether we agree with them.

But RosyRat, do you think that Cllr Curran should be suspended pending the police investigation? Or do you think that he should call a by-election to prove that he is the electorates choice fair and square? If what you say about the electorate feedback you are getting is correct he couldn't pick a better time and it would do Labour a power of good in so many ways.

It's not fair to castigate RosyRat and Max for their political activities, in fact they should be applauded for their contribution regardless of whether we agree with them.

But RosyRat, do you think that Cllr Curran should be suspended pending the police investigation? Or do you think that he should call a by-election to prove that he is the electorates choice fair and square? If what you say about the electorate feedback you are getting is correct he couldn't pick a better time and it would do Labour a power of good in so many ways.

But no party likes to take chances........its partly whats wrong with a few things.

It's not fair to castigate RosyRat and Max for their political activities

It is when they make statements such as "Very few people who belong to a political party have ambitions to become a councillor. We don't.". Especially when they have stood for election/been councillors.

Then the party should only let people stand who actually want the position rather than someone simply "going through the motions". They may find they then get more votes..

Where are these candidates going to come from? If anyone imagines there are people out there who are queuing to become councillors, they have a very odd view of local politics.

All parties are finding it increasingly difficult to get people to stand. This is why the Lib Dems will recruit candaidates who aren't members of the Liberal Democrat party. If any of you have read Jonathan Harston's posts on the make-up of parish councils, you will see the case in point.

Councillors are vilified time and again on the Forum, by people who have no idea of the working of local government and just enjoy being malicious. Look at what's being said about Ben Curran. The guy is an ex-Labour Party member who believed the local Lib Dem propaganda. One step inside the Town Hall and one look at the Forgemasters' issue and he realised his mistake. He came back to Labour.

His mistake as far as the Forum is concerned is that he stuck his head above the parapet. He said what he thought. He admitted he's made a mistake. God help him.

All those who rant about councillors, of whatever political persuasion, should have a go one day and see for themselves what a God awful soul-destroying job it can be, when your life's no longer your own for £10,000 a year and you get ill-informed vitriol in return.

Ben Curran's had the guts to admit he was wrong and has gone back to the party he belonged to in the first place. He stuck by his principles and look where it's got him on here.

Ben's new to political office. He'll soon learn what a thankless task it can be and learn, I hope, to develop a thick skin, ignore the jibes of people who wouldn't kow a principle if it jumped up and bit them and get on with the job of protecting this city against the savage cuts which are on their way.

But should he let the electorate decide if they still want him if he doesn't want the Lib-Dems? The party that he was a member of was clearly marked on the voting slip but unlike this one there was only one Curran

And should the Labour Party suspend him while the police investigate the complaint just as they did with MP's expenses?

Edited by Tony

All parties are finding it increasingly difficult to get people to stand.

That's a problem of their own making. They (politicians of all parties) have lied to us and manipulated us for far too long. People are a little brighter than a few decades ago.

People no longer trust the "old ways" of doing things, which is why I voted for the Glib Dims - they promised to change things for the better with full PR.

Tony, thank you. I really appreciate your comment. No, I don't think Ben Curran should be suspended. Firstly because there is no proof yet that he's committed a crime and secondly because it would deprive the people of Walkley of a councillor whilst this is going on.

I've been on the receiving end of a very nasty and unfounded complaint, which was politically motivated. It wasn't a criminal case, but the police were involved as it was a Standards Board issue. If I'd been suspended, I would have been unable to represent the people of Gleadless Valley for 6 months, whilst the complaint was being investigated. Which is just what the complainant was aiming for. A lot of mischief can be done in 6 months.

It's a pleasure RosyRat. I genuinely have respect for those of you who do. I might not agree with all you believe (there's plenty of common ground though) but if it were not for people like you two the nation would be a worse place.

But, enough of the flannel, back to Ben Curran.

If suspension from the Labour Party pending the outcome of an investigation is good enough for Stephen Byers, Patricia Hewitt, Geoff Hoon , David Chaytor, Elliot Morley, Jim Devine and a couple of lords...

... isn't it appropriate for Councillor Ben Curran?