Sheffield Lib-Dem crosses the floor

Tony

C

"The database will include people's voting intentions, which had been volunteered to Lib Dem canvassers along with mobile phone numbers, email addresses and details of Lib Dem councillors' casework.

Such information would be very useful to rival politicians."

Sorry to disappoint you, but Labour will already have much of this info anyway. All parties ring people up, using the electoral register and telephone book as a base. That way, you don't waste your time contacting people who don't have a vote. You then ask :

1. Will you be voting at the next election?

2. Which party do you normally vote for?

3. Which party do you intend to vote for this time?

So you end up with a list of voters and their intention to vote for whichever party, not just for your own. Labour will know who intends to vote Lib Dem and the Lib Dems will know who intends to vote Labour.

No secrets, no big deal.

I doubt very much whether Cllr Curran will be handing over any info which Sheffield Labour Party doesn't already have.

And I'm amazed that anyone would believe the Star after all that's been said on this Forum about the quality of their reporting.

Key points the police will look at before throwing out the complaint.

They claim he downloaded the information onto a memory stick just days before dramatically walking out on the Lib Dems and joining Labour.
First of all they claim it happened and would have toprove it did.

Second he was still a Lib Dem when he took the alleged info so they cant do him for stealing it.

has left the Lib Dems on the brink of losing power at Sheffield City Council.

The reports of the crime have something to gain from the allegation and this can be seen as a vindictive allegation, they should think about this because if its not proven then they themselves could find themselves in the dock.

actions may constitute data theft and a breach of the Data Protection Act.
Well this is where it could all fall through for them, if the police investigation cannot prove he still has the info or even that he has used it for anything, then there is no crime. I am betting that the 'May' bit is a key word here and the police will be looking at someone who makes a complaint should actually provide some facts to back up the allegation rather than just surmise there could have been a crime and expect the police to go wading in to find the proof.

If they find nothing then the least that is going to happen is the lib dems are going to look right wallies. I hope the police can justify looking into this as well if they don't find any proof of the allegation.

The Lib Dems are demanding that Labour pledges not to use any of the information if it falls into their hands.
I bet this info is worth nothing to anyone and councillors could have access to it or request it from any party they belong to. They are making out its al quada getting the blue prints to the town hall or something. 'Dont let it get into enemy hands !' :hihi:

I could however be totally wrong and they find him selling the info to the Mafia or someone for purposes of people trafficking or something stupid, but I doubt it. :D

I hope this 'defector' has them in court for slander or something if nothing is proven. After all people will think where there's smoke there's fire, something Im sure they new when they made the allegation. They are hoping the voters see his as corrupt and leave Scriven at the top.

At least Clegg has seen it for what it is and has distanced himself for when it all hits the fan.

Edited by hard2miss

And I'm amazed that anyone would believe the Star after all that's been said on this Forum about the quality of their reporting.

Reporting standards aside, apparently the leader of the Sheffield Labour Party has been asked to suspend Ben Curran pending an investigation.

Do you think he should be?

I bet this info is worth nothing to anyone and councillors could have access to it or request it from any party they belong to. They are making out its al quada getting the blue prints to the town hall or something. 'Dont let it get into enemy hands !'

Quite right, hard2miss. See my post just before yours. The Lib Dems know perfectly well that this is info Labour and the Greens will already have, to a large extent. This is a case of trying to seek petty vengeance and will fall flat. Not before a costly and worthless investigation by the police.

Even the casework details won't be worth anything. any councillor who is doing their job properly will be doing casework and I'd say 80% of all casework councillors handle falls into the same main categories :

Housing repairs, objections to planning apps, litter, noise, nuisance behaviour, schools appeals etc.

What on earth can councillors from other parties do with that information? Nip into someone else's ward and tell the constituent concerned that they could handle it better?

Besides which, as I well know, casework doesn't win you votes, so this info will help no-one politically.

Besides which, as I well know, casework doesn't win you votes, so this info will help no-one politically.

It doesn't really matter because if he's done what has been reported he will probably end up in court and maybe in jail for two years.

It doesn't look great does it? Do you think he should be suspended while the police and the ICO find out what's been going on?

It doesn't really matter because if he's done what has been reported he will probably end up in court and maybe in jail for two years.

It doesn't look great does it? Do you think he should be suspended while the police and the ICO find out what's been going on?

Tut tut tut.

Don't you dare have a go at me in future.

Although job sharing seems to be the way forward:hihi: