Sheffield Lib-Dem crosses the floor

Tony

I feel incredulous about what has happened.I think what the members will feel is that they all helped Ben do a lot of work in Walkley.Canvassing,leafletting and a lot of those that did did so voluntarily.

It will not just be about the cost but about the credibility of a candidate who has come along and given the impression that he has the interests of the people of Sheffield and particularly Walkley at heart.

As I have said before on another thread, many ,many people vote for a candidate because they believe in them, because they think they are credible and that they will work hard in the ward all year round.

To take such an impulsive decision to jump ship so soon after just a few months in office and allegedly with information that was entrusted just makes people really question the motives of an individual that can do that sort of thing.

I have met Ben many times and must admit to being very disappointed.Not just about the switch but about the way that it was done and now this with the data seems incredible.:(

.. and surely the decent thing to do would have been to discuss with the leader or other senior councillors that he was not happy and at least have the decency to explain his intention.

Well I don't know, we don't know and the forum does not know for sure that Cllr Curran removed these details.

Therefore I think moderators should step in here.

Because it could be construed that the Lib Dems are using Sheffield Forum to blacken Cllr Curran's name if certain Lib Dem posters on here carry on.

Of course you guys are hurting. Your party is going down the pan and as one Lib Dem cllr told me in the supermarket the other day - "We are going to get wiped out'

This is a matter to be decided elsewhere and the guy is being accused of doing something that could be a serious offence.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I really do hope Lib Dems are not using this or heaven forbid making it ip to cover up this bad news story??!!

Cllr Baker "is due to contact the police about it" Is he or isn't he?

And it perhaps says a lot that Cllr Baker is in the Star makig the accusation BEFORE the police.

Not playing politics with it? I ask you.

Shame on you.

And now it turns out that actually its the Lib Dems who have committed the crime by not being more careful. Therefore cllr Baker is reporting himself in - with regards to data protection.

Honestly. And these people are running our city?

There is so much spin that still goes on. people really do believe what is said in the media

Referring you back to my previous post..

The facts are that at the moment the Lib Dems are suffering in the opinion polls . Yet when people actually go out to vote it is rather different. In 13 council by elections in July they averaged 21.5% and, more importantly made a net gain of 3 seats and since the election have recruited over 4500 new members. Although the media focus on the bad news a lot of 'thinking' people have realised that the lib dems really have had a progressive influence on the new Government.All in just 100 days. This should be made clear to the public at large so that they dont believe everything they read or hear in the media

This is the quote from The Star website:

"Lib Dem bosses allege that Coun Ben Curran copied a database containing personal information about thousands of residents in the city.They claim he downloaded the information onto a memory stick just days before dramatically walking out on the Lib Dems and joining Labour."

If you look at previous posts - especially those from Cllr Harston - there is an immediate flaw in the Lib Dems case.

Cllr Curran WAS a member of the Lib Dem party when he ALLEDGEDLY downloaded the information. Therefore no crime has been committed as the information was there for Lib Dem members and councillors to use.

So I don't understand why on earth they would be calling the police? Or rather telling The Star they are thinking of calling the police - -hmmmmmm.

Something smells here.

Surely if the LibDem's THINK Cllr Curran has information (which he has every right to have as a councillor and as a Lib Dem) - as he has left the party they should just ask for it back. He DID NOT take it illegally.

Did they ask for it back?

Or did they send a nasty press release to The Star BEFORE talking to the police and WITHOUT asking Cllr Curran.

Then Espradille and Joe-Public and all the other usual Lib dem posters start blackening his name on here.

IF i was Cllr Curran I would be getting a very good lawyer and serving the Lib Dems with a writ .

Maybe he will . . . .

Edited by Mr Nobody

What a waste of Public money.

Using vital police time to get involved in a political dispute.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

But this is not going to look very good for the Lib Dems. Someone is badly advising them on this.

Would it be preferable for politicians to be above the law, and never be investigated for any wrongdoing? A crime has allegedly been committed, and this has been reported to the police. It's up to the police what resources they want to throw at it.

This is not just a 'political dispute' either. Many people would consider the theft of mobile phone numbers / voting records / councillor casework details a very serious matter.

as he has left the party they should just ask for it back. He DID NOT take it illegally.

If he did take it, then he broke the law when he left the party and failed to delete any data that was in his possession. This would be excusable as an accident, if it weren't for the fact that he had only downloaded the data days earlier, presumably already planning his defection.

It's like walking out of a shop without paying for something. The law doesn't say "oh, the shop never asked for it back so it's not theft".