Wind Turbines - Totley Moor / Hathersage

I've got nothing against nuclear power, it's the waste it produces, if we could find some way of safely handling it then I'd be all for lots of power stations.

The problem of nuclear waste is blown way out of all proportion. New stations are so efficient that they make a fraction of the waste the existing british stations currently use. The radiation risk from working in a hospital is also many times greater than working in a power station.

Apart from the construction cost of new nuclear station, which can be more or less disregarded because all forms of power generation require masses of concrete, including wind turbines. Then nuclear is extremely green.

I like the idea of wind turbines, and the rest of the world seems to have no problem running them and all the stuff about maintenance cost and lack of wind I believe to be hogwash, based on very early models, installed decades ago.

Ideally we will all have mini wind turbines and solar panels on our houses and micro generation will be the way forward in 10 years, but at the present this still costs nearly half the price of a house to implement, and we need new large nuclear power to keep us up and running for now.

solar pannels require the mining of rare materials and produce lots of CO2 in their production. All these kind of things are, at the end of the day, tinkering at the edges and investing money in them is like buying an anorak to repell a tidal wave. We should keep are views. Though I do believe there are more important things, what's the point in trashing them for no real benefit?

solar pannels require the mining of rare materials and produce lots of CO2 in their production. All these kind of things are, at the end of the day, tinkering at the edges and investing money in them is like buying an anorak to repell a tidal wave. We should keep are views. Though I do believe there are more important things, what's the point in trashing them for no real benefit?

The last part of that doesn't make any sense love. :huh:

we should keep the views of our landscape. Especially when destroying them would have no real benefit

we should keep the views of our landscape. Especially when destroying them would have no real benefit

Forgive me, but how does putting Solar Panels on ones roof destroy the views you're harping on about?

We are an island, and most of the planet is covered in water. We should be using the waves in 'farms' if open sea.

Ideally we will all have mini wind turbines and solar panels on our houses and micro generation will be the way forward in 10 years, but at the present this still costs nearly half the price of a house to implement, and we need new large nuclear power to keep us up and running for now.

There was a good report on TV last night about how energy efficient the Japanese are, they have hydrogen power cells, solar cells and wind turbines on their houses.

It was suggested to me that wind turbines should be put underground so that they are not an eyesore

Perhaps we could build more hydro-electric plants like that one in Wales thats inside the mountain ?

It was suggested to me that wind turbines should be put underground so that they are not an eyesore

... along with the solar cells ? he he he !

I've got nothing against nuclear power, it's the waste it produces, if we could find some way of safely handling it then I'd be all for lots of power stations.

Absolutely.

Could we launch the nuclear waste into space or would that be too expensive ?