Wind Turbines - Totley Moor / Hathersage

will have one of my own as soon as finances allow. dont see why some are so opposed to them. Less of an eyesore than satallite dishes, and look how many houses have those bolted to the wall!!

solar pannels require the mining of rare materials and produce lots of CO2 in their production. All these kind of things are, at the end of the day, tinkering at the edges and investing money in them is like buying an anorak to repell a tidal wave. We should keep are views. Though I do believe there are more important things, what's the point in trashing them for no real benefit?

I worked with a research group at SHU during the summer, on thin film solar cells. There is a large amount of research going into this (and the SHU group seem to be at the forefront of a lot of it).

Thin film solar cells require very small amount's of the different chemicals, and they are currently working to increase the efficiency of them. Research groups have managed to get the efficiency of these cells up to about 19.5%. That's more than double the efficiency of any standard silicon solar cell.

So Solar Panels could be an option in the future.

(And don't nuclear fuels need mining for aswell?)

i am quite happy to have some of them in some proper places in sheffield, not too many though

in the board of Rotherham, near the sheffield airport, there is another very high wind turbine installed, you can almost see it near the M1 junction

just copied some text from the newspaper for records:

----------

"We need more facts before Sheffield Council starts erecting wind turbines on the moors.

Wind is a variable source of energy and needs back-up. Aside from the appearance you also need extra construction to link up the turbines to the grid."

Barry Cummings, aged 63, of Broomhall, Sheffield.

"we have to look at the benefits and if their location is not to the detriment of the people living nearby, then we should see how they could benefit Sheffield. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and turbines can grace, or ruin a landscape."

David Heugh, aged 64, of Ecclesall.

"Great news about wind turbines. I will wait for the Lib Dems and Tories to come up with objections, even though they claim to be green. They usually object to anything that makes a difference ... if only we could use of all their hot air!"

Karl Hallam, aged 35, of Hangingwater.

"I have a daughter who is nearly one year old and I worry what her future will be as we seem to be running out of fossil fuel. Wind turbines are a good idea. Although they are not the prettiest things I prefer them to power stations and pylons. I think they can be pretty noisy."

Kevan Smith, aged 48, of Manor.

"You either don't mind wind turbines or hate them. I see a little of each side of the argument, though overall I don't mind them because they represent the beginning of a shift away from traditional fossil-fuel dependence.

Pete Scott, aged 44, of Nether Edge, Sheffield.

"It's a good idea but I have reservations as you need to pick a windy site for it to be economic, otherwise it would be cheaper to dosomething else like insulation or solar. Sheffield's own planing department are good on advice on this."

Richard Roper, aged 58, of Gleadless.

"I feel that they are a waste of time and would not provide any appreciable benefit to the community, I don't think they are particularly ugly but that they are a waste of valuable resources which could be used better!"

Mollie Hickman, Sheffield.

-----