Wind Turbines - Totley Moor / Hathersage

There was talk of sheffield putting these turbines up and getting us all a substantial reduction in our electricity bills as we could sell on what sheffield didnt use to the national grid.

I think there was some opposition to it tho and have heard nothing since. probably due to the fact it will all be a pink elephant and the council would probably sell them off in the second your to redecorate the town hall or pay off some of its many flops depts.

we all know if we do get them some company will take over and we would be left with an eye sore and bigger fual bills just to rub salt in the wounds

So does anyone know if there is such a proposal for turbines on Totley Moor?

I'd personally be very surprised as Totley Moor is within the Peak National Park boundary...

(That said my personal view is that, first, I can't see why anyone would object to such beautiful objects, and also second I don't see why greens are against nuclear. Then again if I were in charge we'd be mining coal again, extracting the carbon from the CO2 and bunging it back down into the north sea oil and gas shale using the existing rigs).

my nannan lives in totley and has rec'd a petition through to sign which is AGAINST the turbines - she threw it in the bin - she said it will be a spectacular view and it will be doing something 'good' for the environment. why would anyone be against them? I dont understand?

my nannan lives in totley and has rec'd a petition through to sign which is AGAINST the turbines - she threw it in the bin - she said it will be a spectacular view and it will be doing something 'good' for the environment. why would anyone be against them? I dont understand?

I suppose it's the 'not on my doorstep' mentality . Personally, I wouldn't have any objections - far more beautiful to look at than pylons .

As I have said already those moors are not very picturesque anyhow, wind turbines will significantly improve the view.

There was some discussion a while ago about using the moorland around Sheffield (not moorlands in the Peak District) for wind farms. We're blessed with an abundance of suitable sites and optimistic estimates suggested there were enough suitable locations within the city boundaries to provide a good proportion of the city's off-peak energy requirement. How anyone can argue against it is beyond me. From a national perspective we do face an energy crisis and it's hard to argue against the need for more nuclear plants but on the other hand certain locations, Sheffield being one, have certain natural advantages over other places and it surely makes sense to exploit those advantages.

As I have said already those moors are not very picturesque anyhow, wind turbines will significantly improve the view.

exactly my thoughts

Whose view ? Can you see Totley moors from where you are ?

I can - from the living room window, and I'm sure a load of wind turbines would not improve their 'picturesque' quality.

If we must have wind turbines shove 'em out on Middle Moss where almost nobody could see them, unless they were really curious and went looking. ;)

Whose view ? Can you see Totley moors from where you are ?

I can - from the living room window, and I'm sure a load of wind turbines would not improve their 'picturesque' quality.

If we must have wind turbines shove 'em out on Middle Moss where almost nobody could see them, unless they were really curious and went looking. ;)

No I cannot see them from my house, but what I can see is the woods at the bottom of graves park. Living trees swaying in the breeze. A lovely view.

Where are the trees on the moors ? gone, because the place is windswept desolate and overgrazed. All the paths are worn out. The whole scene is man made. The soil is eroded the trees were cleared, on the ground the place is a kind of desert.

I see your point about shoving them into the distance where they are less visable. But that is purely NIMBYism. We have all got to put up with a bit of this or in 10 years we will collectively suffer problems such as intermittent power supply and vastly more expensive energy.

all good points muddycoffee - my nannan has a view of totley moors from her living room window and says she looks forward to the sight of wind turbines as it will be awesome!

I see your point about shoving them into the distance where they are less visable. But that is purely NIMBYism. We have all got to put up with a bit of this or in 10 years we will collectively suffer problems such as intermittent power supply and vastly more expensive energy.

But we don't all have to put up with it. You wouldn't have to but I would.

The enviromentalist argument is the major problem with 'renewable' energy production. There are still plenty of suitable sites in Scotland and Wales for some large hydro-electric schemes but the locals would be up in arms if the govt. were to suggest such a course. And the same applies to esturine tidal barrages - ornothologist go ballistic about the loss of habitat and so nothing gets done.

Totley moors have been treeless since the Bronze Age because our ancestors cleared them for grazing and arable. I might be prepared to tolerate a wind farm there if the sheep were taken off and trees allowed to grow again ;)

Well I'm for them too.

We stopped at a sight in Sclotland near Perth and took photos of theirs, a magnificent sight to behold.

Just like Tellytubbie land :thumbsup: