Glossop Road Swimming Baths

had forgotten all about glossop rd baths!

was there some sort of "hill" inside when you walked to the pool? or did i dream that? :hihi:

my classroom window, in 3rd year at notre dame was in that alleyway that we all had to queue up when visiting the baths. i remember when other school children used to queue there, our class would throw pencils and things at them!!(very naughty)

max

Max, as you came out of the changing rooms, you went right, heading uphill to the smaller pool, which had emergency exit doors that opened onto Glossop Road, and turned left, downhill to the larger, squarer pool.

The pool which you went downhill to was IIRC the "training" pool where the schoolkids had their lessons in the eighties.

I presume the lower pool was the one which was covered over for the dances?

I remember one pool was named the Cavendish pool, I forget what the other was called. I used to enjoy going there for a swim, back in the early/mid eighties. It made a change from the Sheaf Valley Baths, which, being more central, seemed to get a lot busier, more crowded. GRB wasn't as crowded, so you could swim in a more peaceful atmosphere.

I remember the changing cubicles at the side of the big pool, used to love it when we had to use the ladies pool it was always a lot quieter than the big pool.

I remember the changing cubicles at the side of the big pool, used to love it when we had to use the ladies pool it was always a lot quieter than the big pool.

hiya some letters i've read on this thread makes me think i went to a different glosssop road baths, the one i went to from 1947 - 54, there in the mens pool the changing cubicles around the pool had no doors on them they were built that way eccept for eight at the shallow end they were wooden, the others were all tiled, the only thing that you could buy in the pool area was from a brylcream machine, the times that you could see someone put their coin in and as soon as it started working they would put their mouth over the nozzle and suck out more than they had paid for, the other two pools were different they had all got doors on the cubicles, i seem to remember that in the womens pool it was a friday night for a couple of hours mixed bathing. in the mens pool when we went with the school the entrance was a door at the side of the usual one with the turnstiles, there was a larger room big enough for about 40 kids to get changed that came out at the side of the footbaths. i remember my dad taking me to teach me to dive fron the three ft splash and in showing me he finished by swimming the full length underwater, he was 40 years old at the time,another time i remember seeing a chap plunge a full length of the mens bath his name was joe weston he was my dads cousin and he had some records for the long plunge he plunged the full length. as for the bigger pool where later we went to the dances the mc was a mr collinson there were swimming two clubs i remember ,the otters on tuesdays and croft house on fridays. i went to broompark mission in the mens pool.our school swimming teachers were peter price and later mr wall, our first on was mr sam blatherwick. mr blatherwick i remember on our first school swimming lesson we were all lined up in the shallow end our feet touching the edge when he told us all to jump in the pool, some of us did as we could swim a little ,the ones who didn't got a gentle nudge so we who were in the water helped them,

Edited by willybite

Fond memories of going there with Nethergreen Middle School in the late 1970s, queuing up alongside the building down the narrow alleyway.

There were two pools, Cavendish and, IIRC, Victoria and unlike Heeley, the changing areas were away from the poolside.

I recall a cup of fizzy lime from the vending machine cost 7p circa 1978/9.

Would that have been with Mr Ratigan as swimming teacher and Mr Walsh as PE teacher, he taught us to swim at Glossop Rd baths from Nether Green school in the late 60s early 70s?

Edited by scargill

I remember those Brylcreem machines and the diving platforms had coconut

matting on them,did you have wooden blocks with and lump of lead in which

we had to dive for and for your Bronze medal had to take pajamas off while

treading water,so much crammed into so little time:)

hiya some letters i've read on this thread makes me think i went to a different glosssop road baths, the one i went to from 1947 - 54, there in the mens pool the changing cubicles around the pool had no doors on them they were built that way eccept for eight at the shallow end they were wooden, the others were all tiled.

That's the way I remember it too when we used to go there from Crookes Endowed School, everyone wanted to get to the cubicle's with the doors, so there was a mad rush, but anyone found running got sent to the tiled cubicles.

We all went on the tram and had to pay our own fares, but when it came to going home, we spent our penny tram fare on either stink bombs from the Trick shop or a penny bun from the bread shop on the back lane, and walked home.

I remember getting the tickets to get in, but I thought they got us in for free ?

Yep exactly as i remember i Went to Western Rd school and we did same that

joke shop completly forgot about that but the memories of bad eggs wafting through school next day god i can smell assembly now,lol:D

Would that have been with Mr Ratigan as swimming teacher and Mr Walsh as PE teacher, he taught us to swim at Glossop Rd baths from Nether Green school in the late 60s early 70s?

I think our class teacher, Mr Delaney accompanied us. He used to make stories up on the bus back to school using pupils as characters in the story.

I think Mr Roberts used to take us too. I recall his burgundy Adidas track-suit!!

Nice times despite the fashion.

Brought back some memories, used to go there from Stumperlowe Crescent First School and Nether Green Middle in the mid 70's - I remember going with Mrs Cutts class and then Mr Roberts at Nether Green - Remember that track suit. From memory always seemed to be cold waiting in the link tunnel between the Victoria and Cavendish pool, I think most times we were taught in the Cavendish pool - did the Vic pool have diving boards or is that my failing memory!.

Happy Days and two great schools.

Is the Turkish Baths still there Or has it been destroyed??

Anyone remember Percy the masseur, a short West Indian guy, a lovely man?

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN THE INSTRUCTOR LEARNT YOU TO SWIM,

THE LIFE BELT WAS TIN, SHAPE OF A PETROL CAN AND WAS FIXED TO A SNAKE BELT

THAT FASTEN ROUND YOUR CHEST.

IF YOU`D JUMPED IN THE SWIM, THE TIN WOULD HIT THE WATER THEN HIT YOU ON THE HEAD. THAT WAS IN THE 40/50s

I dont remember the can but i remember him having a pole with a belt on it

and walked down the pool playing you like a gasping fish.