Glossop Road Swimming Baths

You must have missed this Brian, are you a mate of Darrell who now lives at Scarborough ?

------------

HI SKIPPY, YES,

I WAS IN AN OR`PHANAGE FOR MANY YEARS, DARRELL`S PARENTS

FOSTERED ME INTO THEIR FAMILY, LOVE ALL THE WAY.---:love:

I learned to swim at Glossop Rd baths around 1945. I went to St Matthias School, Napier St. with school-boy swimming champion Terry Greenhedge of Parliament St. 15 years later I was working at The Star when a sales rep there died at the baths, choking to death on a lunchtime sandwich eaten before he went for a swim.

Who remembers the nuns next-door at St Marie's School, Convent Walk? And the school-girls dressed in green cloaks and straw bonnets, led in file by nuns in long black gowns and stiff white wimples. Many years later I married one of those school-girls at St Marie's, Norfolk Row.

I remember that the baths was converted to a ballroom for the BUTLINS VALETA area final in the mid 50`s, that was the last time I saw my girlfriend,Pauline.

I remember that the baths was converted to a ballroom for the BUTLINS VALETA area final in the mid 50`s, that was the last time I saw my girlfriend,Pauline.

hiya i remember going to the dances at t glossop the m.c was mr collinson i think he had a dancing school on hanover square behind st silas church this was 1954/57,there weren' any waltzers, or foxtrot, or quickstep dancers then just the creep, mambo,be bop a loo la and we all did the same steps at different speeds, the price to get in was 2/6d 7.30pm until 11pm ( 2/6 was price of 2 and a 1/2 pints of beer, and nearly 20 park drive cigs).swimming was over in ithink october until march, there were private dances there as well as the ones we went to every saturday,

Edited by willybite

No. You've got the right pool. I went from about '53 to '59 with Pomona street school and later with Greystones. We got the bath cards and used them during the school holidays. All the cubicles had doors on them and the horrible coconut matting. Did my first dive off the top of the steps. Looked really high but I suppose it was only about five feet from the pool side. The mixed bathing pool was where they had the dances on Saturday afternoons run by Walter Collinson. I used to go to his dance school on Havelock Square and he used to have his medal presentations at Glossop road. I used to lead off with him when he was doing a dance his wife didn't like.

But back to the swimming. We never bothered with the vending machines but we used to go to the cafe on Convent Walk (opposite the entrance to the boy's baths) for a doorstep dripping crust. It cost a penny (lovely). Does no-one remember the cafe?

Hi Brian1941

Just been replying to willybite about the baths. I thought the bakery was a cafe on Convent Walk but we always looked forward to the dripping crusts after a swim.

The showers you mentioned were great if the water in the baths was a bit cold. I f you had a cold shower and jumped in the pool it made the water feel lovely and warm. Never used it as a shower though.

Yes also had my lessons and certifictes there..Came all the way from Meadowhead on the tram and walked up Division st.. Pieklet shop on the way back for hot ones..MMMMMMMM

Please so unfair havent seen a pieklet since i bought one

from that very shop all that flattened land opposite never

been back,now im starving:hihi:

Janber I think your age is getting the way of your memory, Collinsons Dance Studio was on Hanover Square not Havelock Square.The Pikelet and Oatcake shop on Division St was run by a man called Bill Adams, my dad worked for the electrical contracters Travis and Marr next door to Adams shop,on the opposite side of the Division St where they moved after the Blitz when their original premises at the corner of Broomhall St and Division St was destroyed by enemy bombs,it was always a treat when dad came home from work with freshly made pikelets or oatcakes

I only went the once to Glossop road Baths, My girlfriend & I won the Butlins Valeta heat in Brighton around August 1955 I was called up in Sept but while I was away for 2 weeks she sent me a `dear john`but we still went to the regional finals.

That was the last I saw of her until April 1956. I understand she went to AUSTRALIA. If any one knows of her please contact me.

Her name was Pauline Upton (step dad bill sheriff) he worked for Tufnells she worked for Birds custard.

She also played `Calamity Jane` somewhere.

Edited by georgeb

Ji pjkay I lived a lot nearer than that so I wlked it. Don't remember the piklets, just the dripping doorstops.

Hi Highnote, Hanover Square it was. Havelock Square was a whole other ball game. I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. The only thing I remember about Division Stree was the fire station and the NSPCC shop with all those horrible pictures in the window. I lived near Ecclesall Road so walked up to the baths via Broomhall past Viners. Regards.