Glossop Road Swimming Baths

Hello,

Although I can't place the lad's name who died ( too many years ago ) I do remember the incident well, as he was a friend of my best friend and we all went to the same school and was in the same year at Springfield Junior.

The lad who died wasn't a strong swimmer and with respect not a good diver..... for reasons unknown he went on the top diving platform and dived in, hitting his head on the bottom of the pool.........everyone who knew him at school was in shock for quite some time.

i dont think he was a young lad may have been married. will have to ask relatives about it

i dont think he was a young lad may have been married. will have to ask relatives about it

There must have been two people then that died in the gents swimming pool from diving in,

because I know for definate that the lad I mentioned was a lad of about 10 or 11 years of age and was a friend of my best friend....... I may be wrong afterall its many many years ago now but I seem to think the lad's name who died was Jacob.

Fond memories of going there with Nethergreen Middle School in the late 1970s, queuing up alongside the building down the narrow alleyway.

There were two pools, Cavendish and, IIRC, Victoria and unlike Heeley, the changing areas were away from the poolside.

I recall a cup of fizzy lime from the vending machine cost 7p circa 1978/9.

Yes John Habs I remember the baths tickets,although perhaps I am a little older than you because during my time at Springfield school we had the scholars tickets and it was tuppence and one of the little tear off tickets to swim in the gents pool,and for a treat and if we could afford it we went to mixed bathing pool, but had to pay the full price of eightpence,the men and women changing cubicles were strictly segregated, men on one side and women on the other, and woe betide any man or boy who climbed out of the pool on the ladies side!!!.

When I left school at 14 I went to work at the optical works of Leadbeater and Peters just along Convent Walk from Glossop Road Baths and was able still to swim before work, but without a scholars ticket of course, at the early morning sessions which began at 7 am, or a swim after work.

As a point of interest I am now over eighty and still swimming, and a few months ago whilst having my periodic check up at the doctors, I asked him was I daft swimming at my age as many of my friends think I am, he replied I am not daft and to keep swimming as long as I want to and of course enjoy it.

Many thanks for awakening many happy memories of swimming at Glossop Road, and Springfied school

I went to St Stephens school (St Philips Rd) and we were taken to Glossop Rd baths for lessons. On the way back we would call in Butlers pie shop for a dripping crust which went down very well after the swimming lesson. I did my bronze medalion for life saving at these baths, but went to Springfield School for what they then called "land drill" which was part of the life saving exam. I hated going to the slipper baths which were upstairs from the ladies entrance. Sometimes the baths weren't very clean and the duck boards you stood on were very slimey ugh! I also remember standing on the top diving board and looking down - petrified - but my friends were behind me so I had to go. I seemed to be going down forever - never again.

Yes John Habs I remember the baths tickets,although perhaps I am a little older than you because during my time at Springfield school we had the scholars tickets and it was tuppence and one of the little tear off tickets to swim in the gents pool,and for a treat and if we could afford it we went to mixed bathing pool, but had to pay the full price of eightpence,the men and women changing cubicles were strictly segregated, men on one side and women on the other, and woe betide any man or boy who climbed out of the pool on the ladies side!!!.

When I left school at 14 I went to work at the optical works of Leadbeater and Peters just along Convent Walk from Glossop Road Baths and was able still to swim before work, but without a scholars ticket of course, at the early morning sessions which began at 7 am, or a swim after work.

As a point of interest I am now over eighty and still swimming, and a few months ago whilst having my periodic check up at the doctors, I asked him was I daft swimming at my age as many of my friends think I am, he replied I am not daft and to keep swimming as long as I want to and of course enjoy it.

Many thanks for awakening many happy memories of swimming at Glossop Road, and Springfied school

Hello Highnote,

Leadbeater and Peters was my opticians when I use to live near the baths.

At springfield school they use to give the best boy and best girl swimmer of the year a free pass to any swimming pool in Sheffield, I was fortunate to gain one of these passes and went 3 times a week to glossop Road.

JOHN HABS