Who Remembers the old Products

Monday's in the fifties was wesh day and I was usually sent to the corner shop for a bag of reckitt's blue, a very handy product, not only used for whitening, but dabbed on stings and insect bites. I don't know if it's still around.
I don't think it's made nowadays but this firm has a few of the little bags at £8 each + postage!.:)

I don't think it's made nowadays but this firm has a few of the little bags at £8 each + postage!.:)

Eight Quid? I think they were only a haipney or a penny in the fifties.

Crown Toppers. You could walk 'em on a leash, swat flies with 'em.

i think we were all a lot healthier when we were kids than they are today. anyone remember bazooka joes, no6 and no10 fags they were the cheap ones. 5 park drive ha ha they were the days (sigh!)

Here are a few more. Pepserdent toothpaste, Tennants Bitter (before Whitbread got involved), Access your flexable friend, Sherbet dips, Rothmans King Size, Red phone boxes with buttons A & B, Gold Leaf fags, the Sheffield Telegraph, Parking Meters, The chestnut man in pond street.

there was that liquorice stick that looked like tree bark the big blocks of soap, lye i think, that mam used to scrub the shirt collars with and a blue bag that made them come out white ,i never did understand that as a kid, 3 penny wagon wheels that were actually big enough to be called a snack,flavoured crisps were just coming on the market i remember my first packet of cheese and onion in the wmc club at woodhouse, oringillo pop paying a tanner to go into the rex pictures, jublee iced drinks on a summer day and penny mix ups from the shops on woodthorpe,my favourite toffee bar had a picture of a highland long horn cow on it but i cant remember the name ,the man from fairleigh who made kites for 3 pence and penny toffee apples ,where did it all go ?seems like only yesterday sometimes

there was that liquorice stick that looked like tree bark
You can actually still get liquorice root.
....jublee iced drinks on a summer day
Yep - Jubbly
...i remember my first packet of cheese and onion in the wmc club at woodhouse..
Mine was from the Wadsley Jack in 1961..:)
...my favourite toffee bar had a picture of a highland long horn cow on it but i cant remember the name..
That was McCowans Highland Toffee - see here.

there was that liquorice stick that looked like tree bark the big blocks of soap, lye i think, that mam used to scrub the shirt collars with and a blue bag that made them come out white ,i never did understand that as a kid, 3 penny wagon wheels that were actually big enough to be called a snack,flavoured crisps were just coming on the market i remember my first packet of cheese and onion in the wmc club at woodhouse, oringillo pop paying a tanner to go into the rex pictures, jublee iced drinks on a summer day and penny mix ups from the shops on woodthorpe,my favourite toffee bar had a picture of a highland long horn cow on it but i cant remember the name ,the man from fairleigh who made kites for 3 pence and penny toffee apples ,where did it all go ?seems like only yesterday sometimes

There was a house on the Circle in the 50s that sold toffee apples, small finger ones on a stick without the apple were either a penny or tuppence, can't recall which, or a proper one for threepence or thereabouts, they were hard work to eat, a big green apple (cooking?) that you had a job to get your gnashers round to bite into!

You'd have a food hygiene inspector round there in a flash nowadays + an income tax commando.

Monday's in the fifties was wesh day and I was usually sent to the corner shop for a bag of reckitt's blue, a very handy product, not only used for whitening, but dabbed on stings and insect bites. I don't know if it's still around.

I can still get the blue wash stuff but it's now in liquid form, I don't use it as I think it's a bit strong, although we needed it back in the 50s as everyone smoked in the house, dind't they ?

Most of these posts are about nice sweetie things but does anyone remember the Ughh :gag: things.....I'm thinking of Fennings Fever Cure.....and Scissor Powders ....makes me shudder just thinking of them.

McCowans Highland Toffee - it was my favourite too - 3d. a bar in the 5o's.

Someone also did one with a yellow banana flavoured stripe in the middle which was quite tasty.

Most of these posts are about nice sweetie things but does anyone remember the Ughh :gag: things.....I'm thinking of Fennings Fever Cure.....and Scissor Powders ....makes me shudder just thinking of them.
And cod liver oil - yech!.:(