Castle market traders complain about German market

Castle market, as a building, is a dump. As a market, it's half-good. The good stalls, which is to say the various fishmongers, butchers, continental, asian and caribbean food stalls, are excellent. Much of the rest is tat but there are some good haberdashers, a fine sweet shop with all your old favourites by the quarter, and a few other decent stalls.

Yesterday, I got a big fresh Whitby crab. The woman on the stall (at our request) took out the dead men's fingers and stomach, so all that was left was lovely fresh meat. You wouldn't get a better crab in Whitby itself, and it cost less than a fiver.

And what's this about smell? The food market smells of seafood and meat, as it should.

Waterall's pork pies, by the way, are as good as you'll find anywhere.

All in all, the market is let down by its shabby building, all the "BEYONCE! Gerreoh NAH!" smoking brigade who loiter outside, and its current location, NOT by the stalls in it. Im looking forward to it moving to a better location in a nice new building, as long as the council don't do a Leeds and price all the stallholders out of business with astronomical rents.

i went today and was bitterly disapointed by the German Chrstmas market. Bratwurst stand is manned by English numpties (from Kent) not the usual jolly German guys and they don't keep a check on who is to be served next. I walked away after been stood there for ages without being ackowledged. The beer bar is selling Krombacher at £3.50 a pint, which you can get in most pubs in Sheffield for less than 3 quid, and cheap looking bottles of Dunkel. No wheat beer or dark beer on draft. I for one wont be going back. Shame coz i really look forward to it every year. They've messed up this time.

Edited by Blacksheep

i bet the christmas market is a damn sight cleaner than the castle market has ever been.it is rank and stinks

Yes thats true, and the toilets are disgusting. Reading all that graffiti in there like 'i woz ere 2008', or 'call this number for sex!" etc. Hate going in them tbh:hihi::gag:

Thats a really big shame. And as to the comment of them not being good enough to get a store in the thier own counrty is f@*king ridicolous comment!!!!!! By looking at the most recent thread its obviously british people making a **** poor job of it. With me being half german and originally coming form there was looking forward to it a nice Bratwurst but its such a dissapointment. When we have to continental market its a proper german firm who come over form the south of germany as i have spoken to them myself and they're lovely!!!!

I walked down Fargate today and one of these vendors was charging £5 for a pork sandwich.

At those prices, they don't need to sell many to turn a profit!

Well for one start Sheffield always cocks stuff up, like St Patrick's Day taking precedence over St George's Day. I'm all for celebratig all the saint's days but our super council never fail to make the wrong decisions. As for German markets, it just adds colour and aroma to the city centre. Whether it's Fritz or Frank it doesn't really matter!

Can I point out the Council don't organise the St. Patricks tent it is organised by Guinness.

I didn't think the German Christmas market was due to start for another couple of weeks?

Edited by donuticus

Who do they think they are kidding? This market is about as German as I am! If these stall holders were any good they would have pitches at proper German markets in Germany. The fact that they are here is a clear indication that they are not good enough to get in, and if you have tried there wares you will know exactly what I mean. If you want to go to a German market, go to Germany, The ones they have there are excellent and certainly would not tolerate the kind of garbage being peddled at this one.

I agree. The market this year in Sheffield is a joke. 14 stalls? is there? I didnt stick around long enough to count. Living in the city centre there is nothing at this thing to entice me out of my warm flat of an evening. If i was in Manchester however that would be a different story. Theirs is impressive, festive and most importantly Christmas!!!!!

Its just a shame you always have to go outside of Sheffield to enjoy festivities.

The BBC story is interesting because they are the second group to complain. Zoobys of the Winter Gardens put in a formal complaint on the planning application.

If anyone looks at that you will notice the difference. If anyone can find the minutes from the area board too please post them up here. I am interested to find out why only half the stalls are here and where the Pine Forest going down into the Peace Gardens has disappeared to.

It's Christmas in Sheffield as well, you don't have to go to Manchester for it.

Can I point out the Council don't organise the St. Patricks tent it is organised by Guinness.

I didn't think the German Christmas market was due to start for another couple of weeks?

the st patricks event is organised by two people one is the ex hogshead manager mark simonite not sure the other person is

the german market will be a complete rip off at least fair prices in castle market

This is the great capitalist choice we all have, where and when to spend our money.

Ultimately that will decide who prospers in this "battle of the markets".

Graham Longden needs to realise that the retail sector is about competition, not complacent stagnation.

I walked down Fargate today and one of these vendors was charging £5 for a pork sandwich.

At those prices, they don't need to sell many to turn a profit!

Had stuffing and apple sauce and it was a large baguette Nom Nom.

Edited by Zinger549

Had stuffing and apple sauce and it was a large baguette.

Still worht a fiver though?

Bet it was a stingy amount of pork though.

For a stingy pork sandwich any day if the week, try Deli-Shuss, opposite Gusto-Italiano and next to the back entrance of Orchard Square.

I almost threw it back in their faces the amount of pork on there. Thinner than panchetta, it was.