Castle market traders complain about German market

Rioja

And that's what Sheffield's markets are missing - something different

They used to be the only places you could go to buy good brand names at knock down prices (I used to buy damned good underwear there which I couldn't otherwise afford), but McArthur Glen and the likes coupled with car ownership have taken away the traditional customer base for this kind of thing, leaving only the broken biscuits and tat for those who are in a seriously 'have-not' financial situation

Is it not time that Sheffield City Council recognised the draw of independent businesses with a unique product, and targeted those with a suitable destination area? Or is that the plan for the new market on the moor?

Tbh, I even think the Crystal Peaks market has missed something somewhere. It seems to suddenly be full of hairdressers for starters :confused: CP's refurb/extension seemed to address the 'level' of trade within the retail units, introducing Clarks (previous option for footwear being Jonathan James), and Next (another step up the scale), but was anything done to address the market?

I can picture the scene from the seventies in the markets hay day.Lots of old women,dressed like the granny in Giles cartoons,queuing up at the tripe stall."Hurry up with those chitterlings,lad,I've got to get t't stall to get some La Senza knock offs to get our owd fella going when he gets home from t' club"

Edited by shanes teeth

I wouldnt just blame the German market. Everything in this country is expensive compared to abroad.

I cannot believe that Castle Market traders are complaining. We've had the German Market here now for a number of years over the festive period and not a peep from Castle Market.

Food prices in Spain are by far more expensive than in England, a small jar of Gold Blend [100g] £5-60 for example, and chocolate is nearly double English prices. Fuel is cheaper and public transport is by far cheaper.

Who do they think they are kidding? This market is about as German as I am! If these stall holders were any good they would have pitches at proper German markets in Germany. The fact that they are here is a clear indication that they are not good enough to get in, and if you have tried there wares you will know exactly what I mean. If you want to go to a German market, go to Germany, The ones they have there are excellent and certainly would not tolerate the kind of garbage being peddled at this one.

I have lived down south where they regularly have a French Market exchange, the French Market stall holders come over to England for the day and the Local Market stall holders do a day in France. These were very popular on both sides and increased trade for the stall holders.

Why not have a Sheffield Market in Germany?

What a bunch of moaning people.

Seriously, Castle Market is a dump. I support independent traders and I can't wait to go to the new market on the moor when it opens. If it's like Manchester or Birmingham's market, it'll be great.

People who've visited me in Sheffield have felt queasy at the smell in there and I dread anyone who says 'let's go to the market'... because I can't stomach it either.

This is a once a year German themed market, which seems quite like some of the smaller ones i've been to in Germany, so well done to Sheffield Council for getting the cosy atmosphere right!

Castle market, as a building, is a dump. As a market, it's half-good. The good stalls, which is to say the various fishmongers, butchers, continental, asian and caribbean food stalls, are excellent. Much of the rest is tat but there are some good haberdashers, a fine sweet shop with all your old favourites by the quarter, and a few other decent stalls.

Yesterday, I got a big fresh Whitby crab. The woman on the stall (at our request) took out the dead men's fingers and stomach, so all that was left was lovely fresh meat. You wouldn't get a better crab in Whitby itself, and it cost less than a fiver.

And what's this about smell? The food market smells of seafood and meat, as it should.

Waterall's pork pies, by the way, are as good as you'll find anywhere.

All in all, the market is let down by its shabby building, all the "BEYONCE! Gerreoh NAH!" smoking brigade who loiter outside, and its current location, NOT by the stalls in it. Im looking forward to it moving to a better location in a nice new building, as long as the council don't do a Leeds and price all the stallholders out of business with astronomical rents.

i went today and was bitterly disapointed by the German Chrstmas market. Bratwurst stand is manned by English numpties (from Kent) not the usual jolly German guys and they don't keep a check on who is to be served next. I walked away after been stood there for ages without being ackowledged. The beer bar is selling Krombacher at £3.50 a pint, which you can get in most pubs in Sheffield for less than 3 quid, and cheap looking bottles of Dunkel. No wheat beer or dark beer on draft. I for one wont be going back. Shame coz i really look forward to it every year. They've messed up this time.

Edited by Blacksheep