Castle market traders complain about German market

Rioja

I went to the German market this weekend and wasn't that impressed. Sausage, pork steak, roast potatoes, Baileys with Hot Chocolate and some decorative sparkly things.

Nice if thats the sort of food you like, not my thing really plus I don't like places where the price is not displayed.

Still a welcome addition to our City Centre. And no threat to Castle Market.

I can see the point that the council have allowed the markets to deteriorate year upon year and promises have been made for years to stallholders and they still haven't materialised.

The council should invite some of the stallholders to display there wares on stalls on Fargate at other times of year, to show Sheffielders who never venture down to Castle Market, how good some of the stalls really are, some are far better than what's currently at the German Market, in my opinion and the money goes back into our local economy, not to Kent or elsewhere, where they are in far better economical situation than us to start with.

Also, if you want authentic German Christmas specialities - get yourself to Lidl - that's where the Germans buy them from!

Edited by Darth Vader

Good - I was a bit disappointed by the "German" one to be honest!

Where will the main continental one be?

The main continental market will be on Fargate as usual from Thurs 10 Dec - Sun 13 Dec. As far as I've read they will have Christmas craft stalls too.

I still don't get why people are disappointed with the German one though, especially when it is really a 'bonus' - first time in Sheffield. And the term 'market' should be applied loosely! It really is just a few food stalls, with christmas music and a bar selling beer and hot mulled wine. If that's all your expecting then it's fine, a nice place to pop to for half an hour after work or if you happen to be in town at the weekend.

The Castle Market traders have been outflanked by a classic German pinser movement, skilled in the art of Blitzcreig market trading. Perhaps if they could have held them at the Don by Lady's Bridge, things could have been different, but it was just a bridge too far.

The Castle Market traders have been outflanked by a classic German pinser movement, skilled in the art of Blitzcreig market trading. Perhaps if they could have held them at the Don by Lady's Bridge, things could have been different, but it was just a bridge too far.

Maybe our US and Soviet allies will come to the rescue. Vodka and a Maccy D anyone? :D

Castle traders have complained that the Christmas German market in the Peace Gardens will take trade away from them.

Story here

I can't see it myself. As the council spokeman says, they sell completely different produce. I can't believe that people wanting Sauerkraut, Bratwurst and mulled wine will impact on the Castle Market sales of cabbage, scragg end and second hand CDs.

It's a bit like Netto making a complaint that Harrods has opened a branch in the same city.

He, he, true and well said Rioja!

Why do people still refer to things as 'rip-offs' when they have a choice not to hand their money over in the first place. And if by 'fake' you mean it wasn't an authentic German market, well it never claimed to be. It's a German themed market, that's all.

Some people complain about anything it seems. WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT? This little 'market' is just an extra little area this year, which sells hot food and drinks to help get the city centre in more of a festive spirit, give it some atmosphere. Or would you rather they'd not bothered and just said humbug to it all. I personally am beginning to wonder why some people bother - damned if you, damned if you don't.

I went at lunchtime today and it was beyond sad. Some cheap pick and mix sweets, a manky looking beer garden, a couple of bratwurst stands and two crystal gift stalls. Oh, and a creperie. Even the banners around it all looked grubby.

Based on the one 2 years ago on Barker's Pool, I was expecting cooked meat, cheese, german and dutch biscuits and cakes - a cheerful atmosphere, wonderful smells ...

Sometimes I'm just ashamed to live in Sheffield.