Castle market traders complain about German market

Rioja

Castle traders have complained that the Christmas German market in the Peace Gardens will take trade away from them.

Story here

I can't see it myself. As the council spokeman says, they sell completely different produce. I can't believe that people wanting Sauerkraut, Bratwurst and mulled wine will impact on the Castle Market sales of cabbage, scragg end and second hand CDs.

It's a bit like Netto making a complaint that Harrods has opened a branch in the same city.

Not much I can add what you two have already said. Other than Graham Longden, you're an idiot.

I don't want to play the race card so early in the thread but his statement "It's not right. We are there 52 weeks out of the year and then these people come into the best areas." seemed to smack of 'they're coming over here, taking our business'.

Fancy European ornaments, wooden German toys, continental food and drink. When I start to see permanent stalls in Castle Market selling this then I'll sympathise.

absolutely laughable I can imagine the scene as someone approaches Fritz asking for "aif o pound o brocken biscuits duck" or " as tha gorany o dem likkle glass swan ornaments fer sale ar kid"

Traders wake up to the real world as your miles from it

How silly! (not you, the Castle Market people)

The ONLY thing they have at Castle Market that is sold at the Continental Market is olives

(there is a nice man with a stall of lots of different stuffed olives, feta, tzatziki etc at Castle Market now, dontcha know! :o)

I know both markets quite well and there is no other crossover since the stall that sold various chorizo meats was shut down years ago.

Hi,can any one tell me where i can buy Sauerkraut or Bratwurst from ive been in Castle market but cant find any.

Please help!!

There used to be a Polish stall with big vats of Sauerkraut but it didn't stay open for very long, and closed over a year ago :(

Shame, they did those little bread rolls with meat & cabbage in the middle that I had when I was in Moscow!