Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

Yes

One of Sheffield's busiest roads in rush hour. Cyclists slowing down traffic.

You seem somewhat unimpressed with the cycle lane on Penistone Road, is that because cyclists need to slow down for pedestrians? Element of hypocrisy if so.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 07:02 ----------

That makes absolutely no sense.

By that logic you should be in a velodrome and not on the roads at all.

I used to regularly drive on penistone during rush hour. At these times, cyclists rarely impede traffic, as they are usually travelling more quickly than drivers.

this is a direct plea to ALL the cyclists who cycle along Penistone Road through Hillsborough into/towards the city centre.

You cycle on the road, NEXT to your specifically marked out and nicely surfaced CYCLE LANES. Yet you don't use the cycle lanes.... *WHY ?* :huh:

PLEASE USE THE CYCLE LANES. Especially the Paramedics and Police who cycle this route and don't use the cycle lanes....:rant:

You have the luxury of your own cycle lane, away from all of us smelly car drivers. Please use it. For your own safety.

The number of near misses i see every day due to cars having to manouvere around cyclists who are not using the cycle lanes is ridiculous - the cars/traffic often swerve back towards you cyclists as no-one will let them pull over to avoid you.

thanks - with love, hugs and hoping not to hit you cyclists on your ass with my wing mirror as i attempt to move round you

xgrifterx

Thanks for the advice, I do use the cycle path on this route daily, but they are far from safe, twice I have been nearly knocked off my bike by cars turning into the various garages and works without due car, there is also a daily issue with glass near the dog track and down opposite the petrol station near Wickes, and finally there are often vehicles parked on the cycle path blocking your route with no respect for the cyclists. So I totally understand why some use the road.

Hang on - why should cyclists not be on the road? Cyclists (myself included) have a perfectly good right to use the roads.

And just before we get some of the crap arguments over:

1) "Road tax" - there's no such thing. VED is paid based on emissions, cyclists pay the same as all other road transport that emits no exhaust (also most cyclists are car drivers anyway)

2) Cyclists "slow down traffic" - Every cyclist is one less car on the road, reducing congestion (and in my experience the cyclists are travelling faster than the traffic can go on penistone road anyway!)

3) Cyclists should use the cycle lanes - The cycle lanes are not mandatory, they don't go everywhere & the majority that are available and going in the direction we need to travel are unsafe (including penistone road)

4) Cyclists don't adhere to the rules - some cyclists don't, just the same as some car drivers don't.

5) Insurance - a lot of cyclists do have insurance, but consider the difference between colliding with a bike travelling at 10mph and being hit by a 2 tonne car travelling at 40... it's not the same situation.

Anything I've missed?

I was about to start the same thread as this.

A stupid cyclist was on Penistone Road earlier today.

There's a bloody cycle lane made especially for you, stop being selfish and flipping use it.

There are regular buses along Penistone Road, stop being a selfish driver and use them.

In order,

Roads where made for walking by the poor and horses for the wealthy.

then progress to horse drawn carriages

then to bicycles

then the invention of the motor vehicle.

so in order of age NO roads where not made for motor vehicles. in fact they came last.

aint actual fact really anoying when it blows your argument out of the water

...after which (much later) came the motorway. Which was NOT made for bicycles, pedestrians, horses, pogo sticks or as a broomstick landing pad, but purely for the motor vehicle.

I did once share the confusion of some on here about why cyclists insist on using the road, until I actually used the cycle path myself. I'm not a regular cyclist but hired a bike and recorded the route as part of a university project on cycling in Sheffield.

It's here for those interested, not the last word in quality but does the job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7ZpwDdywk

As an amateur cyclist I wouldn't have the nerve to use the road on there as it's so busy but I completely understand why more experienced cyclists use it - the cycle lane is absolutely terrible and nothing more than a footpath with bikes painted on it in places.

I did once share the confusion of some on here about why cyclists insist on using the road, until I actually used the cycle path myself. I'm not a regular cyclist but hired a bike and recorded the route as part of a university project on cycling in Sheffield.

It's here for those interested, not the last word in quality but does the job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7ZpwDdywk

As an amateur cyclist I wouldn't have the nerve to use the road on there as it's so busy but I completely understand why more experienced cyclists use it - the cycle lane is absolutely terrible and nothing more than a footpath with bikes painted on it in places.

best post yet