Beware! Black cab taxi driver scam in Sheffield

Agreed 100%. Most people out in town must be less than a hours walk away.

I have always walked home, it's about 75 mins for me. It sobers me up, gets rid of the calories I've just drunk and saves me more than a tenner. Above all I just love to see our city when it's quiet.

I have always felt pretty safe walking alone, and given some of the stories one hears about taxis these days it's probably safer than a taxi.

Its probably a good idea if can guaranteed to not be mugged - but then the taxi drivers do that anyway - considering the frequency it happens I think I'd rather now take my chances on the street ! WHat a sad sorry thing to have to say !

Don't get caught like I almost did - scenario ... get taxi back from centre of town to suburbs at 2am - granted I was a bit "worse for wear" after being out on the town and that is when he seizes his opportunity ..

Charges you just over 10 pounds for the fare WRONG for starters since its normally about 7 quid, but then worse is to come ..

You give him 20 pound note and wait for the change - he does a quick note switch out of sight under his dashboard, hands me back a ten pound note and says "Sorry mate you only gave me 10 pounds and asks for more instead?" - if I was to take his 10 and then give him another 20 he ends up driving off with over 30 quid and I am none the wiser ..fortunately in this case I was "just" compos mentis enough to see the scam and raise it then he starts to get very nasty and threatening so I lose it and totally explode - realising he is rumbled he does a quick getaway in his cab ... WITH my 20 pounds - offence number 3 !

I am so sickened and disgusted by this behaviour - makes me wonder how often in the past my honest nature has been taken advantage of like this and I just wanted to post it so people are aware of the scam - I guess best thing is swhen you hand over the note say "Thats 20 quid note mate" or something??

Anyway I will be using taxis MUCH less from now on so this swindling rogue is now ruining business for all the other honest taxi drivers out there !

Seen this alot, black hackney or private, they try and gauge your current state and take you for what they can. A commmon one is if you dont have the current (always imflated) fair is to leave your mobile while you pop inside your home for the extra, if your phone is half decent they drive off.

Oh damn man..I hate the black cabs, i realised it was better, safer and CHEAPER to just phone mercury..like today i got a cap from heeley to burngreave it was £5.50 it would usually when i jumped on a black cab it would be like £8 something, now everytime im getting a cap i make sure to call rather than jump on one of them slow couches!

Oh damn man..I hate the black cabs, i realised it was better, safer and CHEAPER to just phone mercury..like today i got a cap from heeley to burngreave it was £5.50 it would usually when i jumped on a black cab it would be like £8 something, now everytime im getting a cap i make sure to call rather than jump on one of them slow couches!

you must have one hell of a large head if you got a cap , as you state , which reached from heeley to burngreave !!!

you must have one hell of a large head if you got a cap , as you state , which reached from heeley to burngreave !!!

I was amazed by choosing to travel in a hat, rather than a slow sofa (couch)! That post was like something Hunter S Thomson would have writen after a heavy weekend :confused::hihi::thumbsup:

Don't get caught like I almost did - scenario ... get taxi back from centre of town to suburbs at 2am - granted I was a bit "worse for wear" after being out on the town and that is when he seizes his opportunity ..

Charges you just over 10 pounds for the fare WRONG for starters since its normally about 7 quid, but then worse is to come ..

You give him 20 pound note and wait for the change - he does a quick note switch out of sight under his dashboard, hands me back a ten pound note and says "Sorry mate you only gave me 10 pounds and asks for more instead?" - if I was to take his 10 and then give him another 20 he ends up driving off with over 30 quid and I am none the wiser ..fortunately in this case I was "just" compos mentis enough to see the scam and raise it then he starts to get very nasty and threatening so I lose it and totally explode - realising he is rumbled he does a quick getaway in his cab ... WITH my 20 pounds - offence number 3 !

I am so sickened and disgusted by this behaviour - makes me wonder how often in the past my honest nature has been taken advantage of like this and I just wanted to post it so people are aware of the scam - I guess best thing is swhen you hand over the note say "Thats 20 quid note mate" or something??

Anyway I will be using taxis MUCH less from now on so this swindling rogue is now ruining business for all the other honest taxi drivers out there !

And the amazing thing is after all this and the fact you wasn't "worse for wear" you never got his plate, badge or even reg number but instead you come on here to tell everyone about a scam going on in the Taxi black cab trade.

In all honesty you was probably ****** out of your skull and the driver was genuine and you thought you gave him 20 quid - works both ways too, I've had people try that old chestnut with me but I always hold the money in their face, but then again not every driver's the same.

Hey, I got an idea, next time get some more proooof and bring it to the council instead of a Internet forum:hihi: