Samantha Orobator facing the death penalty

the Lao haven't executed anyone for twenty years. In common with most Asian countries at the moment, there's a moritorium on the death penalty there. Besides, they've already said that a pregant woman will not be sentenced to death.

there are those whose attitude is very draconian and simplistic - 'hang 'em all, drug smuggling scum'

if you have a problem with that, don't bother whingeing about it to a bunch of Brits on a forum, but take it up with the Lao or Thai people instead, who I assure you think that the sentences given down by their courts, paid for by them with their tax money, are if anything too light. The extra-judicial Thai 'war on drugs' in which an estimated 2,500 people were murdered extra-judicially just a few years ago, was overwhelmingly popular with ordinary people, provided it wasn't their relatives that were gunned down in the street by the police in front of their neighbours and associates - guilty or not.

I'm not whingeing, as you so eloquently put it - I am merely wondering how you can come to such a simplistic, unforgiving attitude, especially where, in this case, there is an unborn child.

I am sure that if you were on a jury you would only need to hear the charge and stuff the evidence. 'He/she looks as guilty as sin, so throw the book at them!'

Or, maybe you'd think 'well, if they were innocent they wouldn't be standing in the dock being accused of the crime - must be guilty; no smoke without fire...'

It is a shame that such an attitude exists, but thankfully I believe you are in the minority and that the majority can see beyond the end of their own inbred prejudice.

And as for deterring people (from committing the crime), the fact that there is this pregnant women facing trial for precisely that crime proves the deterrant does not seem to work.

Besides, if you expand your narrow mind enough, you might consider that some people commit crime through desparation and necessity. Over the coming months there will be many stories in the papers of people in terrible financial difficult resorting to drastic measures, possibly even committing crime, in order to survive.

The human animal no very little depths or limits when it comes to survival - it's what made the human race so successful.

But, what the heck? Who cares about 'why'? Fact is, they broke the law and they deserve all they get, even if that means hanging a pregnant women.

Yes?

You do not need to respond - you've already answered that question, sadly.

IF she is indeed guilty and IF there are no mitigating circumstances

Don't cloud the issue talking about mitigating circumstances.

For some the facts are clear - she broke the law. The penalty is death. So be it.

Another drug-smuggling scumbag is taken out of the gene pool.

Life is simple in black and white.

Some people are very simple in their outlook.

I don't support the death penalty. I certainly don't support it for a 20 year old woman who at worst is likely to be guilty of gross naivite (sic?)

u do the crime u do ur time she shouldnt av smugged drugs shud she you never no the drugs she was bringing the smack head who wantd them cud av robbed ur house to pay for them so u no what she shud av thought i am 20 yr old i cud die for doing this but she took the choice and did it didnt she :rant:

Does anyone else not feel we should let the Laotian criminal justice system get on with it? Innocent or guilty - who knows, but it's their jurisdiction. Let them see that justice is done.

No, she's a British citizen so it is our responsibility to ensure she is not executed and that her jail conditions are acceptable.

and possibly guilty of killing hundreds with the drugs she intended to come home with and make a profit

That's what everyone forgets.

She's a killer.

Not in so much as she holds the gun but her crap kills people and that's before you consider the rest of the murders in the drugs trade.

She makes cash and people die.

Get involved in that and it's hard luck whatever happens to you.

Same with Amsterdam. On my first trip I'd just got off the plane late one evening and was starving so headed into town.

I asked for a beer and the guy serving said "do you want a menu?". I said yes but didn't know any of the food on there. As hungry as I was, I wasn't going to eat a skunk!

Arriving in our hotel in Amsterdam a few years ago, we were amazed to discover - whilst putting our passports in our room safe - that it contained some complimentary spliffs for the guests!

I feel very sorry for the young lady.

Life is not as black and white as some of you think.

She is very young and may of been duped into the criminal act.

Preyed upon by older more organised criminals who probably convinced her that she would not get caught.

I say bring her home and let her do her time and then maybe she can go to college.

She did not murder anyone, just made a silly mistake.